Vote Or Witness Regression, Columbia, MO
Health Wellness

Vote This Columbia Public School Board Election, Or Witness Regression

#CPSBest

137

Listen, voting is a pain in the ass. Nobody wants to do it, but we need to. Columbia, Missouri residents, the Columbia School Board election could possibly be the most important local election you ever participate in but not for yourself, but your kids. Now more than ever we need a change in the school district leadership, examples ranging in severity include although are not limited to: Peter Stiepleman, the Superintendent, remains preoccupied on Twitter, busy responding to 16-year-old students in regard of potential snow days. Once or twice is funny, but seriously, every year?

Blue Ridge Elementary Principal, Mark Burlison, was arrested for a hit and run, presumed to be heavily intoxicated while driving his pickup truck. In Missouri, Mark Burlison should have a felony on his record, leading to his loss of a job, CPS did not comment on this act and he remains head of the herd.

According to krcgtv, in 2017, two administrators sued CPS for racial discrimination, according to. The settlement ends the lawsuits filed by assistant principals Andrew McCarthy and Rachel Henderson against the district and former Assistant Superintendent Kevin Brown. McCarthy applied to be principal at Hickman High School in 2017 and alleged in the lawsuit that Brown passed him by for less experienced candidates. McCarthy alleged Brown retaliated against him for misconduct complaints Henderson made against Brown. The settlement agreements provide $153,000 to McCarthy and Henderson in return for the dismissal. In the agreement, the district and Brown deny all the claims in the lawsuits and deny any wrongdoing.

Meet three candidates currently leading the race and grasp their values through an interview by Columbia Missourian.

Jay Atkins

Jay uses a home-based style in trying to sway voters. From promoting himself in clean pictures with family, being the only candidate with children in Columbia Public Schools, and looking to secure the race with an appeal to traditions, relative to Della Streaty-Wilhoit that is. Note: Atkins did not show up to a press conference to spend time with his kids on a vacation, during spring break. Take away what you wish from that.

Atkins gave his stance on guns in schools recommending buildings have specially trained personnel for security purposes, according to 17 KMIZ news.

"If necessary you can't run can't hide, you need to be able to fight back," Atkins said. "Face the threat and neutralize that threat."

Jay hopes to win a majority of his votes, from his plan to break school to prison patterns, by increasing literacy rates in children at a young age. He hopes to get every third grade student on the same, 100% reading mark.

Like Jay or not, this is unreasonable. You will not be able to achieve this goal because of the achievement gap that lives and breathes in the classroom. Respectfully, there is no way to truly hold a teacher accountable on every student, being perfect.

Della Streaty-Wilhoit

Streaty-Wilhoit has a doctorate from MU and worked for the National Park Service's Midwest region as the director of scientific research. She says her aim as a board member would be to increase STEM program participation.

Della's approach to winning this election seems short and smart. She seemed to prefer to answer questions asked by the Columbia Missourian, in a blunt and non-controversial manner. This is easy to agree and understand, from an objective viewpoint, it is smart in the long-run, until potential voters get sick of the Bernie Sanders "college for free plan" minus the evidence.

Streaty-Wilhoit, 65, agreed and added the school district should be making every effort to inform students about climate change.

On teacher pay, the Columbia Missourian got this out of Streaty-Wilhoit, "Lower pay or inadequate pay for teachers is a statewide problem that requires strategic planning and budgeting. On this issue, we have a long way to go in finding a solution. As an educator, I believe we should pay teachers a higher salary; however, to do so, we must find a sustainable means to pay for higher salaries."

Blake Willoughby

"Blake Willoughby is the youngest candidate running for one of two open spots on the Columbia School Board. Saying his age is an advantage, Willoughby emphasizes inclusivity and acceptance of all students. The children's book he is holding, titled "Little Leaders, Bold Women in Black History," displays significant leaders in a picture-book style." states Columbia Missourian.

His passion for education closely parallels his passion for the arts, and his commitment to integrating arts into all education is fundamental. Rather than focusing on STEM — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — Willoughby wants to see a larger shift toward STEAM, which includes arts. Art integration involves using arts to teach students about subjects that typically do not involve arts. Willoughby said he wants to create a student-led committee that would work directly under the board, creating an opportunity for students at the high school level to share their frustrations, thoughts on college readiness and their needs as students.

Willoughby said mental health in the schools is a prevalent concern despite the tools already in place. Students' mental health can impair their studies, and often, he said, these circumstances go unreported and unnoticed.

Willoughby, 24, said he considered minimizing carbon emissions an obligation, especially as a young person. He proposed a student-led committee for long-term planning, arguing that students need a voice in the district and that the proposed committee would allow that to happen.

According to the Missourian, Atkins received over $7,000 in contributions for this period between late February and March 22. He has now received almost $10,000 total, according to his campaign finance report. Atkins spent over almost $5,000 this period on advertisements, yard signs, shirts, etc. His total expenditures are a little over $6,600. Contrast, Streaty-Wilhoit filed for limited activity in her previous report, meaning her contributions and expenditures were less than $500. In her most recent report, Streaty-Wilhoit did not receive any contributions to her campaign, and she spent $88.53 on photo cards. Willoughby received a little over $1,500 and a $300 in-kind contribution, where a service was given rather than a monetary contribution. Willoughby's total contributions were over $2,000, according to his report. He has spent $1,179.25 this period on various items such as signs, postcards, advertisements, etc.

The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday.