I'm With Her...I Guess
Politics

I'm With Her...I Guess

She has my vote, but not my trust.

9
I'm With Her...I Guess
E! Online

So last night I turned on the TV to watch Hillary Rodham Clinton accept the nomination for the Democratic candidate for President of the United States of America. I began watching her speech with a very critical eye. I have never been a proponent of Hillary's, and wasn't about to become one. I was ready to ride the "Bernie or Bust" train all the way to its eventual grisly derailed end. I have followed Sanders since the beginning, plastered everything I own with Bernie bumper stickers and "Birdie" Sanders stickers, read his books, made several $27.00 donations to his campaign, helped register people to vote, etc. I can say that I was fully committed to Bernie Sanders' campaign and was willing and ready to go all the way. I saw him climb in the polls, and I saw the media blackout. I saw the crowds gather and began to feel confident -- and then things began to slip. I began to lose hope. I tried to remain optimistic, but it wasn't easy.

Then the darkest day came. Bernie concedes to Hillary and openly supports her. I felt like I was struck a violent blow. No. This couldn't be possible! She had won. She had beat him down to the point of accepting defeat. I saw the sparkle in his eye disappear as he spoke about coming together and said that "Hillary must become our next president". What? I became numb. At that point I knew it was over.

Fast forward to the Democratic National Convention. I began to hear about the conspiracies, and the emails, and all the DNC was accused of in regards to favoring Clinton's campaign. I became livid! This was it, this was our chance. I knew that Hillary was crooked all along, and had been saying as much since day one! This was the last straw though. Enough is enough. Or so I thought. I remained angry, bitter, and was ready to take up the cause against Hillary and her corruption. I could never have been prepared for what the next couple days would bring. What surprised me most though was Bernie openly supporting her nomination even in the face of his own nomination having become an option again. It was finished. Delegates walked out, people chanted, crowds became disruptive -- but it was all for nothing.

We heard inspiring speeches from the Vice Presidential nominee, politicians from all over the country, the First Lady, several celebrities, the sitting President -- Barack Obama, and the former President -- Bill Clinton. Each one lauding the former First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State on her many accomplishments and singing her praises. I felt sick. Come on people! She has accomplished a lot, and her resume is impressive -- but some things are not so easily overlooked. Corruption, lies and just her overall personality are not so easily overlooked.

Then every form of social injustice, and the faces of political correctness were marched across the stage. I was a little impressed at the level of inclusion. Transgender, latino, POC, Muslim, Christian, women, men, LGBTQ, disabled, etc. -- all given a chance to speak. It was something to behold. It all comes a little too late for most people, but it was fantastic to see that there was representation for the grossly underrepresented. In my cynical way I looked at it and viewed it as pandering on the part of the Clinton Circus. I saw a candidate that had always leaned more conservative on several of these issues, suddenly exploiting these people for the younger, and more liberal votes.

I was not impressed. I watched the show continue and grew ever more annoyed. Then came the final event. When Hillary took the stage my annoyance had reached its peak. Now don't get me wrong, I was excited about the history that I was watching. First female candidate? I mean, that is exciting! I just wished it was someone else. Is she qualified? Certainly! I just don't like her tactics, dirty politics, elitist mentality and oily politician act. That being said though, the gravity of the event was not lost on me. As she began to speak something happened though. Something that wrecked me, and shook me. I found myself actually smiling. Wait! What the hell? I do not like this woman, but here I was finding myself softening. With lines like, "With no ceilings, the sky's the limit!", and "playing the woman card," or making pointed stabs at Donald Trump about tweets and nuclear missiles. She suddenly became a little bit more likable. I mean, she quoted Hamilton! Pandering? Yeah, and for this guy -- it worked. There was such an inspiring message being presented. Was I being swept up in sentiment? Was the sight of history being made so exciting? I don't know. I don't even know at what point I made my choice, but I did. I may not like her all that much, and I sure as hell don't trust her -- but I'm with her. If Bernie can't guide this runaway train, then at least Hillary knows how to conduct one.

As much as I have wanted a third-party candidate to become a viable option, I truly believe that we are a couple elections away from that being a legitimate possibility. I fear that a vote for Stein or Johnson, or a write-in for Bernie is only going to benefit Trump. I hate that idea. I hate it so much. I have always been an advocate for "every vote counts" and "vote your conscience." My greatest fear in this game though, is that Trump wins while we are fighting amongst ourselves. Trump can never be allowed to win. I will do my part, and make the sacrifice necessary to make certain of that.

Hillary, I never would've picked you -- but I'm with you now I guess. Please, just don't screw me over.