One Competitive Sport Shaped Me Into The Women I Have Become

One Competive Sport Shaped Me Into The Women I Have Become

I've won, I've lost, and I've fought, thanks to volleyball for teaching me how.

293

Growing up I tried out so many different sports. From track to basketball, you name it I was playing it. I'm all about a competitive sport. But it wasn't until 6th grade when I found my true passion; volleyball. From then until senior year of high school, I lived and breathed volleyball. My years went from four seasons to volleyball seasons - school season, club season, and camp season. Every night I would be practicing or have a game until 9 or 10 in the evening and would stay up till I finished my homework. It was tiring, but it was worth it.

Every time I stepped onto the court it was like I was a different person. Everything I was thinking or worried about left my mind and I just played. I raced around the court diving for every ball, jumping to block the opposing team, and being strategic with my plays. I was not the best player, but I was a very talented player. I worked hard and it paid off.

My 7th-grade year, my middle school didn't have a volleyball team, so that meant I had to try out for the high school team. I tried out for the team and made the junior varsity team! It was so fun playing with high schoolers, who ended up being like the sisters you never had. As the years went on I ended up on the varsity team and got to meet so many amazing girls.

Honestly, if I didn't play volleyball I don't know who I would be today. It taught me how to learn from my mistakes, how to focus, and how to work hard. It gave me confidence not only in myself, but in how to make friends, join teams, and go to new places without feeling shy or nervous. No matter what life goes on and you'll always be okay. Volleyball has made me the person I am today and I can't thank it enough for all its done for me.