What To Do On Vocal Rest

20 Thoughts You Will Never Get To Say Out Loud While On Vocal Rest

You don't realize how much you love to talk... until you're not allowed to.

63
https://www.pexels.com/photo/bed-blanket-female-girl-450056/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/veryveryquiet/4374568000

Recently, after a trip to the doctor's office, I was not-so-pleasantly surprised to find out that I have laryngitis.

As part of the healing process, I was instructed to go on vocal rest, aka not talk/sing/whisper/use my voice at all, until I got better (although due to my sore throat, talking became extremely painful).

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm a very vocal person, and I love to talk, so this news did not go over well.

1. So not even whisper?

2. What if I really need to get someone's attention?

3. Okay, I SUCK at mouthing words.

4. Do I really not have a whiteboard? I don't want to waste a whole notebook writing down what I need to say.

5. I'm really gonna end up texting my mom while she's in the same room as me just to ask what's for dinner.

6. Not gonna lie, I feel pretty rude just smiling when people say "I hope you feel better soon!"

7. Day two of vocal rest: I have resorted to communicating by hand gestures: thumbs up = yes, thumbs down = no.

8. Currently texting my dad to ask if we still have my old chalkboard from when I was a kid somewhere in the basement.

9. Yes, I am 100% ready to communicate via chalkboard.

10. Might as well listen to some music to cheer myself up.

11. This is my favorite song!

12. Aaaand I can't sing along.

13. Should I wear a shirt that says "currently on vocal rest" so that people don't think I'm being rude when I don't respond to them?

14. ... I'm totally overthinking this, aren't I?

15. Am I allowed to laugh?

16. Because I really can't help but laugh sometimes.

17. Why is every song I listen to a song that I really want to sing along to?

18. That pharmacist definitely thought I was the weirdest person ever when I handed her a note that said "Hi my name is Sarah, and I'm currently on vocal rest so I can't speak. I'm here to pick up my prescription."

19. Is my voice gonna sound different when I'm able to speak again?

20. Seriously, how long is this gonna last?

Related Articles Around the Web