8 Compelling Reasons To Visit Your Local Library Immediately

8 Exciting Things That Come With Paying Your Local Library A Visit

Seriously, if you haven't set foot into the library yet, you are missing out.

25

This article may be slightly biased since I'm a major bookworm. But it must be said for anyone that still isn't aware: your local library is an underrated goldmine of fun and knowledge. Seriously, if you haven't set foot into the library yet, you are missing out. Keep in mind that these are only a few various offerings from libraries, so I encourage you to visit in person to see for yourself or at least check out your local library's website.

1. Library cards.

media.giphy.com

Before we talk about the library, let's talk about these for a minute. With your state-issued ID or driver's license (or really anything that demonstrates proof of residency), it is ridiculously easy to get a library card. And once you have one you are free to check out all the books, CDs, audiobooks, and more to your heart's content. Just remember all the due dates!

2. It's the best study spot ever. 

media.giphy.com

If you're in need of a quiet place to study, write a paper, or even get away from your noisy household, make the library your main go-to. Only whispering is permitted, so you'll be set to get things done efficiently and quickly (that is, if you don't get distracted by all the books)!

3. It's research heaven!

media.giphy.com

Although the internet is wonderful and contains an ever-expanding wealth of information, you should consider visiting the library for even more academic juice! It's very helpful especially if you're seeking primary sources. And don't be afraid to ask your librarian for assistance; that's what they're there for!

4. Free computers and free Wi-Fi!

media.giphy.com

Picture this: Your laptop is on the fritz. You need to finish a paper, and you also want to check your email. What better place to do this than the library? It offers a great number of computers for anyone to use for as long as you need. Write and email away!

5. CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays and more!

media.giphy.com

Remember CDs? You can find thousands of them at your local library, all for free! There are even DVDs and Blu-Rays of all the movies and all the TV shows you could think of. And if it doesn't have what you're currently looking for, let the librarian know*!

6. Digital goodies.

media.giphy.com

Did you think libraries JUST had physical books and media? With the ever-growing advent of technology, you can even borrow digital content such as ebooks, audiobooks, and music! So if you prefer to go digital, check your local library for the latest offerings!

7. Community activities.

media.giphy.com

Did you think the library was just a place to check out materials, study, and use computers? They even hold community-wide events with something for everyone, and for free! From book readings to performances, story time for the kids, tutoring, and even fitness classes, a world of enlightenment awaits you at your local library!

8. Books.

media.giphy.com

Need I say more? Among other reasons, introverts like me LOVE libraries for all the different types of books that surround them. Nonfiction, biographies, fiction, how-to books, mystery novels; you name it, they got it!

*You can do this for anything the library has: books, ebooks, CDs, etc.