11 Things You 100% NEED To See When You're In Berlin, Germany

#10 has the best food.

152
Ella Napton

I recently went on a trip of a lifetime. I was fortunate enough to be able to go on a J-Term trip with 22 other students from my college to Germany. If your school does not, or did not, have a J-Term, essentially for the month of January, you take one class. And we have to take two during our time in college to graduate!

At my college, study abroad options are offered to help fulfill this requirement. So I signed up for a month in Germany. One of our stops was Berlin, and we were fortunate enough to stay there for an entire week. This gave me time to explore parts and places in Berlin that are not as touristy. Here are 13 things you absolutely need to see or do, if you ever find yourself in Berlin:

1. The Berliner Mauer East Side Gallery

We all have, hopefully, learned about the Berlin Wall and the split between the GDR and the DDR from 1945 until reunification in 1990 (the Berlin Wall did not stand for the entire duration of those 45 years). And to remember the division and recognize its past as a city, Berlin has left a mile of the Berlin Wall standing and created an art gallery on one side of it. It is truly amazing to go visit.

2. The Book Burning Memorial in Bebelplatz

Another famous, not so great, part of German history is the book burnings that occurred during Hitler's occupation of Germany. In remembrance of the book burning that occurred at Bebelplatz Berlin instituted a memorial in the middle of the square.

It is very poignant to look down and see a room with only empty bookshelves and a lit lightbulb. The bookshelves represent all the books burned and the lightbulb represents the ideas that were not put out in the minds of creators after these book burnings.

3. The Holocaust Memorial

Another emotionally charged memorial, the Holocaust Memorial, memorializes all the people who suffered during the Holocaust led by Hitler. There is no actual interpretation written for the style of the memorial - it is completely up to the observer.

4. The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

During World War 2 many buildings were destroyed in Germany due to bombings done by the allies. This church was one of these structures destroyed. Instead of redoing the church it was decided that a new church would be built next to the one that was heavily damaged during the bombings. The old church stands as a memorial, and the new one is still in use today.

5. The Berliner Dom (and its rooftop)

The Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) is Berlin's largest place of worship. The architecture is truly stunning as well as the interior decoration. This is not surprising. But, what was surprising to me was that visitors who pay for entrance to the museum can climb (many) flights of stairs to go stand on a balcony at the top of the Berliner Dom. It is worth the money!

6. The Museum Blindenworkstatt Otto Weidt

During World War 2 a many, by the name of Otto Weidt, ran a factory that made brooms and brushes and employed, mainly, those hard of sight or blind. He also employed Jewish people during the war. Moreover, he helped several Jewish people escape death by internment camp/Nazis. The stories shared in this museum are truly awe-inspiring. And the museum is the actual factory Otto Weidt used--and it has a room that housed/hid Jews during the war.

7. The American Church in Berlin

I was fortunate enough to visit the American Church in Berlin and get a tour by the lovely pastor and his wife. The coolest part about this church is that the statue of Jesus that hangs on one of the exterior walls is the statue that inspired the ELCA's motto "God's Work, Our Hands". Also, the church gives out food each and every Friday to those in need in their neighborhood.

If you're down for a good time and a late-night party the Astra Club is the perfect place for that. It boasts a cool atmosphere and themed parties nearly every night of the week. The people who work there are friendly and the music is great.

9. Charlottenburg Palace

Kreuzberg has a not-so-stellar reputation, but it is up and coming and worth the visit. You can eat authentic Turkish food (delicious) and visit museums that describe the area's past. Kreuzberg is historically a Turkish part of the city, but it is growing more and more diverse by the year.

11. The German History Museum

Although this one does likely make it into the travel books, it is definitely a must see. The exhibits it boasts are amazing and world-class. You can even see the hat and sword Napoleon used during the Battle of Waterloo!