Why Every CSU Student Should Get Their RTA U-Pass

6 Reasons Every CSU Student Should Get Their RTA U-Pass

Every CSU student gets unlimited rides on any RTA vehicle for only $35.00 a semester. Why wouldn’t you take advantage of this?!

200

One thing I love about CSU is the RTA U-Pass program because I absolutely love public transportation. Seriously, public transit is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean you can go anywhere and everywhere in Cleveland and Cuyahoga county through the RTA's extensive network of buses, trains, and trolleys. It's amazing — but that might just be me.

Public transportation isn't something that really exists in the cornfield I grew up in. But I digress.

Needless to say, as much as I have grown to love public transportation, I was shocked to find out that some of my fellow Vikings never get their RTA sticker. All CSU students have the opportunity to use public transportation pretty much for free, yet some of them never take advantage of this. It's just mind-blowing.

There are just so many reasons that every CSU student — whether they commute or live in the dorms — absolutely should get their RTA U-Pass sticker on their student I.D. every semester. Here are just six of them.

1. You pay for it

Every single CSU student pays into the RTA U-Pass program in their tuition — $35.00 every single semester that they’re enrolled. Don’t believe me? Go check campusnet right now. I’ll wait...

What’d I tell you? There is no opting out of it, just as non-athletes can’t opt out of the athletic fee. You have to pay this $35.00, so why not get your money’s worth?

2. You get unlimited rides on any RTA vehicle within Cuyahoga County for an entire semester

upload.wikimedia.org

You can use it as much or as little as you want. All you have to do is show your student I.D. to the driver and you can board literally any RTA vehicle for no cost. You can use it every single day if you want to, and you don't have to pay a cent (as long as it's within the dates on the stickers). And all destinations within Cuyahoga County are free with your pass (North Olmstead, Downtown, University Circle, Ohio City, Lakewood, Strongsville, etc.).

3. It’s just a sticker on your student I.D.

Emily Motta

Since most people carry their student I.D. on them literally all the time while they're on-campus, there's no need to remember anything else. As long as you go to the Cashier's Office at the beginning of every semester, you're good to go. No wondering if you brought enough to pay your fare or keeping track of a ticket.

4. You can go literally anywhere in Cleveland

upload.wikimedia.org

Literally. Whether you live on-campus or commute, you can go out and explore Cleveland for little to no cost! No driving around the city, wasting gas, finding a parking space (which is a nightmare), and paying for parking. And for dorm residents, no walking down to Heinen’s in the middle of winter to get bread and milk.

5. There’s no penalty for not using it

It’s not like you have to swipe it or something. The driver just looks to see if you have the sticker, if that sticker’s still valid, and punches a button on their console. So, if you get it and don’t use it, nobody knows except for you.

6. It gives you freedom

This is for if you live on-campus and don't have a car. Let's face it, weekends in the dorm are boring. The university is basically shut down (with the Viking Marketplace and Chili's as only things open). Most of the Interlink is also locked down, so if it's pouring rain and you want to go to the Starbucks in Playhouse Square, you're going to have to get completely soaked.

If you have your RTA U-Pass, you can go out on the weekends. Maybe go down to the Cleveland Institute of Art (completely free to enter) or go to the Cleveland Public Library. And if it's bad weather and you want to go into Downtown, you're not going to have to walk through whatever Mother Nature decides to dump on the Land — be it wind, rain, ice, or snow.

The RTA U-Pass program is one of the best benefits of being a Viking, and every student should take advantage of it. Whether you live on-campus or commute, there is absolutely no excuse to not get your RTA U-Pass sticker every single semester that you're enrolled as a student at Cleveland State University.

So, my fellow Vikings, make sure that you head to the Cashier's Office on the first floor of Main Classroom next week and get your RTA U-Pass sticker!