Vigdis Finnbogadottir, A Name Everyone Should Know

Head of State Who Brought Economic Prosperity to Iceland

474
Google Images

A woman of great success, Iceland's Madam President has accomplished great achievements far beyond the borders of Iceland. Extensive experience on the Advisory Committee on Cultural Affairs of the Nordic Council accompanied by her years of job expertise while serving as the artistic director of the Reykjavík theater more than qualified Vigdis Finnbogadottir for the role of president. A few more early achievements include her higher education in literature and drama, a passionate Icelandic Cultural speaker, and an active influential international language organization member.

To further disclose her success, I would like to bring forth the highlight of Iceland, becoming the first women worldwide to be democratically elected as the head of state. With ideas such as reforestation, education, and land reclamation she had earned the love and respect from the people of Iceland. Four years later Vigdis Finnbogadottir went unchallenged in the presidential elections. Again in 1988, with 92% of the votes she had secured a third term of presidency. Going even further Vigdis Finnbogadottir was elected one more time bringing her grand total to sixteen years of service. It was not until 1996 that President Finnbogadottir retired from the presidency.

However, by no means was this an end to her career. In 1996, she found the Council of Women World Leaders, a network of world leaders. Yet finding another accomplishment by serving as the first Chair of the World Commission on Ethics in Scientific Knowledge and Technology. A career position that emphasized the ethics of energy and fresh water.

It comes as no surprise that a woman of this magnitude has received numerous awards. To list a few: the Land Reclamation Award (Iceland), Socrates Award (Sweden), the Jakob Lettersted's Award, and even the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization Ceres medal. More that she has received include Honorary Doctorates from 18 universities.

Vigdis Finnbogadottir has made a difference in this world. She serves as a role model for both men and women. Her accomplishments are nothing shy of amazing.

Aspiring individuals of all natures should look upon the story of Vigdis Finnbogadottir. Her undeniable success serves as a constant reminder of the amount of good we can do in this world. I believe that her accomplishments have set new milestones in the history of mankind. More than any other would be her works as a women's rights activists.

She became a hero to many in 1980. That was the first time ever in the recorded history that a person of female gender was democratically elected as head of state. As a distinguished world leader, Finnbogadottir set precedence on the issues of women. She even founded Women World Leaders, an organization that helped further the extent of women's rights.

Personally, there is no doubt in my mind that Vigdis Finnbogadottir is a renowned women's rights activist who has truly made a difference in the struggle. Her efforts and determination demonstrate her passion for equality as she further extends the range of her influence. I believe that Iceland's Madam President is a person every child should know.