Victoria's Secret
Politics

Honestly, Victoria's Secret Return To Swimwear Can Stay A Secret Until They Decide To Offer Plus-Sizing

Thanks, but no thanks.

2604
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lfl/2375817596

Did you know that Victoria's Secret is bringing back their swimsuit line? But I won't be able to shop there, and you might not be able to either.

We've all heard of Victoria's Secret, but not many people realize only certain women are able to shop in their stores. I personally am not a tiny woman and I am okay with my size. But society has ingrained it into our heads that women must be small, and women must fit into a certain mold. They have told us that curves are not a good thing. I feel so ashamed for these women who hate their bodies and who don't like shopping because it's so hard to find bigger sizes. Until Victoria's Secret begins offering larger or plus sizing, they are severely limiting their customers.

So, to prove the point, I went to their website and said I wanted to shop by size. The general sizes range from a 30 to a 40, with AA thru DDD cups.

The number is your size around where the main band of the bra sits, and the letter is the size of the breasts themselves. The issue is that anyone bigger than 40 inches around, but in a smaller cup (like a B) is screwed by the sizing.

In an interview with Vogue, Ed Razek (chief marketing officer of L Brands at VS) said, "If you're asking if we've considered putting a transgender model in the show or looked at putting a plus-size model in the show, we have." Razek went on to say, "We attempted to do a television special for plus-sizes [in 2000]. No one had any interest in it, still don't."

I call bullshit! A huge stinking pile of it. You're telling me that women don't want to be included. That we don't want to be a part of something as big as the "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" has become. To alienate a bunch of women because they are different than the models you prefer to showcase your clothes on is wrong. Even if Victoria's Secret doesn't want larger women to model for them, they should still offer plus sizes. Inclusivity is the key to being successful as a business.

For example, let's say a fast food restaurant decided because people were larger, they were going to choose not to feed them. That would be a huge act of discrimination and they would probably be sued or worse. But, it's okay for a clothing company to discriminate against their shoppers? It should not be okay.

Society has made it the norm to be disrespectful. Society has made it the norm to be judgmental. Society has made it the norm to be uncaring. I choose not to be normal. I choose to break the rules when needed. I choose not to shop where I am not wanted. Another company who has respect, good judgment, and cares about its customers can have my business.

Victoria's Secret can kiss my ass!