Vegas, I Love You

Vegas, I Love You

To the city that will forever hold my heart.

16
Vegas, I Love You
fly.com

Everyone has a city that for one reason or another calls to them. The first time you step foot in that city, you immediately feel a connection with it, even if it's a place that you never thought you would. For me, I found that place almost five years ago while on a family vacation. We were road tripping across the western united states to visit family and friends when we decided to spend a few days in Las Vegas. I didn't know what to expect from Vegas, as I had only been there once as a very young child, and my only memory of my time there was the amusement park in our hotel (we stayed at Circus Circus when I was a child). But the minute we pulled onto the Las Vegas strip, and I was greeted by the magnificent lights, I felt an everlasting connection with that strange but beautiful place.

My sister and I during my first trip to Las Vegas

During that first trip, walking down the strip through the gorgeous hotels and casinos, and lounging by the pool made me feel like royalty. I've never been much of a flashy person, but for some reason I couldn't get enough of the glitz of this city. I also greatly appreciated how touristy it was. Having been in New York City a month or so before, I was excited to be in a place where you didn't feel bad for being a tourist. I had lived near NYC as a child, and thus being in Times Square made me feel out of place, as you could tell the locals weren't fond of those of us who came for the attractions. However, on the Las Vegas Strip, tourists are more than just welcomed; they are loved. The city of sin is catered to tourists, and it felt refreshing to be able to be one without guilt.

The second time I went to Vegas was for a race called RAGNAR, a relay where everyone makes huge teams and runs different legs of the race without really any sleep. It was during this trip that I was able to appreciate the other side of Las Vegas; the suburban and the nature side. The dessert is beautiful.Though it's different than the green mountains we have in Colorado, something about the dry red-rocked beauty captured my heart on that trip. I also loved seeing the side of Vegas away from the strip. Though I will always have a love for the strip, seeing people's communities, in a world that feels so very far away, gave me a whole new perspective on the city.

My favorite photo from my second trip to Vegas

I just came back from a Spring Break trip from Vegas. This was my first time there since turning 21 (thus allowing me to do so much more there) and also the first trip I've ever taken with only other young people like myself. Honestly, this trip made me love Vegas even more than before. Being able to see so many shows, to go to the amazing restaurants within the city, and to be in charge of what we got to experience everyday, made me realize what a great place it is. Vegas has negative connotations, but you can have so much fun there without partaking in any of the activities that give it those connotations. I didn't gamble once. But I did get to see three shows, I may have drank a lot of Pina Coladas, and I was able to see so much more of the strip than I had before.

My future sister-in-law and I during my most recent Vegas trip

A place where absolute freedom is given emphasis is a place that I will forever love and value. I look forward to any future trips to Vegas I may undertake, and until then, I will continue to hold that city in my heart.