5 Amazing Vegan Joints In NYC

If this article didn't make it obvious, I'm vegan. I've been vegan for about three years now, and before that I was a vegetarian for five years. I'm a major foodie and I'm willing to try anything (that's vegan) at least once. Being at Fordham has given me the opportunity to check out a plethora of vegan restaurants in the city. I've narrowed it down to my favorite five.

1. byChloe

Two words: Chipotle. Aioli.

With six locations in the city, no matter where you are good vegan food isn't far away. It caters to a wide ranges of dietary restrictions and the menu clearly indicates which items contain certain allergens. You can't go to byChloe without trying the Mac n' Cheese (extra shiitake bacon) , the 'Burg BLT, and, for something green, the Kale Caesar (you should put chipotle aioli on that and thank me later). They even have a ridiculous amount of bakery options, including cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, and cookies. It's a vegan foodie's heaven on earth. Hands down my favorite vegan restaurant.

2. Blossom du Jour

Not to be confused with Blossom, which is "fine dining" vegan restaurant. Blossom du Jour is a casual place where you can get vegan "fast food". That being said, it's absolutely nothing like traditional fast food - its actually good for you and doesn't leaving feeling gross afterwards. My personal favorite is the breakfast bowl, which is available all day and features scrambled tofu, tempeh bacon, and sweet potatoes.

3. The Cinnamon Snail

Located in the Pennsy (above Penn Station) lies the Mecca for vegan donuts. Yeah, they have "real" food too - burgers loaded with mac n' cheese or baked ziti, tempeh bowls, and sides - but you come here for the donuts. My favorite is the Samoa donut, inspired by the Girl Scout cookie (and it also happens to be gluten free!). Other goodies include the cookie dough donut, caramel apple crumb donut, the peanut butter blondie (also gluten free), and the cinnamon snail (an aptly named massive cinnamon roll). Did I mention they also have a food truck?

4. Urban Vegan Kitchen

I am through and through a breakfast person. It's my favorite meal of the day. So the fact that this place has brunch every single day until 4 (!!!) gets it a million gold stars in my book. And the fact that they have vegan belgian waffles gets it a million more gold stars.

5. The Butcher's Daughter

This restaurant is actually 100% vegetarian, not vegan, but that makes it easier to eat out with non-vegans. Don't worry, they still have a ton of vegan options. I'm going to focus on breakfast again, because breakfast is my favorite (and also the only food I've had there). Matcha latte? Amazing. Pancakes? Delicious. Banana Walnut Pancakes? Incredible. Hit this place up the next time you're in the mood for a fancy, quality brunch in the world's most aesthetically pleasing eatery. Bonus: it won't break the bank.