You aren't going to die

for my wedding. Please

go home that night. You

deserve this for once, to

palm open your children's

bedroom door and let

the hallway light peek

in so they wake just gently.

To lift them up and out from

their nests, set them in their seats,

and bib them. To then spoon

milk into their bellies

until their eyes droop and sleep

returns, tilting their heads

gently back. You deserve this

for once. We will be fine and

the ceremony will cement

without your blood.

I'm a vegan. Please don't be alarmed.

If you don't know about veganism already, it can be easily summed up as "a diet and/or lifestyle that is free of animal products," (my own definition). So, no meat, dairy, eggs, leather, wool, down, or etc.

People adopt veganism for many reasons including, but not limited to environmental consciousness, a sense of spirituality, or socioeconomic concerns. That being said, when some people adopt veganism, a certain sense of superiority may arise. This kind of unfounded condescension only results in further stigmatization and ignorance of the diet/lifestyle and is not helpful or productive.

Despite my personal decision to adopt the diet, I still believe that "to each is their own." I don't want to be lectured or ridiculed for my diet, just like anyone else. But, because of some condescending vegans, many people assume that I will be snobbish or rude because of my diet. I wrote this poem to hopefully remedy some of the ignorance about the motives for veganism and dispel some of the stigma surrounding those who have adopted the diet/lifestyle.