Value Your Employees and Perhaps They Will Stick Around For Longer

Keep me motivated and I will stick around.

16
Nike

To seek perfection in the workplace is a bit absurd, because realistically, nothing is perfect. Even if a company surveyed their employees and tried to aim its policies, environment and everything work related towards perfection, there will always be those individuals that find something to complain about.

I do not think it is simply my millennial demeanor to think like this, but rather the demeanor of someone who wants to be happy at the place where a majority of the time is spent: the workplace.

Throughout my working career, which started at the age of 16 and has placed me in three different career sectors and companies, I have come across business practices that I like and dislike. These are a few things managers, fellow co-workers and a company as a whole can either implement or perhaps push forward to keep employees motivated.

• Simply say "Thank you."

Yes, you pay us to get a job done, but when an employee goes above and beyond, takes on added responsibility and pushes themselves to excel, they might not be doing it just to stand out but rather because they enjoy what

they are doing, they want to show how much they care or simply because they have to. A “thank you" goes a long way to make someone happy and feel valued. Also, draw emphasis on accomplishments, let it be turnaround time on work completed, teamwork or someone that stands up to extra responsibility. Do not simply reach out to an employee when a mistake is made. If you keep reaching out to employees only when mistakes are made, it makes that employee feel like all the good done is not valued whatsoever.

• Make sure the compensation matches the responsibilities

This one can be tricky, as compensation is determined by a company's revenue, location and other intricate factors. But as a manager, or as the individual that has the control of declaring compensation, think if all the responsibilities, stress, overtime, early and late hours equate to what employees are getting paid.

This one is also a responsibility for the employee to understand. Try to do your research prior to taking a position to understand the role's responsibilities and the compensation; what you are not told at the interview! Sites such as Glassdoor have great insight to many companies by current or old employees leaving reviews and other important details. Know what to expect prior to taking that job offer. It is easier to land a higher salary when you first take that job compared to getting a hefty raise each year.

• Encourage promotion from within the company

Allow and encourage promotion from within. If successful employees have done a job well done and have succeeded in their daily responsibilities, give them the opportunity to move up. Some employees start seeking opportunities elsewhere because they have already gone up the ladder as much as possible at their current workplace. When employees do not see any other opportunities for growth, including salary compensation and title, they start seeking other companies where that can be a possibility.

To those employees out there who are perhaps going through the issue of not feeling motivated at work, talk to your manager. Sound scary? I know it is, but it should not be. Open communication should be encouraged. Know how to approach your manager to ask for that salary raise, promotion or perhaps to know if you are making progress at work. From personal experience, I know that can be scary, but it feels good after the fact. Plus, you don't have to wonder what it would have been if you did not ask. If after the conversation and after you know you have excelled and done everything possible to deserve that step, nothing better happens, perhaps start looking somewhere else. We have to be thankful for the opportunities in front of us, for that job that helps us pay the bills, but most importantly, you have know how much you are worth and you have to go where the opportunities are.