Valentine's Day Is A Celebration Of More Than Romantic Love

It's a celebration of love, not just significant others.

421
pexels

Why does it seem like most people who aren't in a relationship hate Valentine's Day? And why does it seem like overall, Valentine's Day is like the most hated holiday?

Now, I'm not one to be obsessed with this holiday, and I'm not one to go all out on this "love" day. But you always hear people say... "We should be celebrating our love every day," "this is stupid", "valentine's day is so overrated." Oh, and my personal favorite, "If you're single on Valentine's Day you don't matter."

Well if we really want to have this attitude, we should also be having this same attitude towards other holidays, shouldn't we? Celebrating mother's day, and father's day, and Christmas, and Easter, and all of the other "important" holidays every day too then, right? Well technically, we should be, and technically, we do. And if you think about it, it's not like these holidays exist so we can only celebrate something one day out of the year. To me, they are just considered important events to certain people and certain groups, and therefore, there is a set day to celebrate this in general.

And trust me, I get it. The sappy teddy bears, hearts, cards and cheesy instagram posts from our friend's in relationships. Valentine's Day can definitely get a little annoying. But, rather than hating on this holiday and the annoyingness it 'seems' to bring, why don't we make the most of it like we do every other holiday?

To me valentines day doesn't mean, 'This is the only day of the year you should be celebrating your love for your significant other or friends or family.' To me, it means "Hey, this is one day of the year where you can make someone else feel special and make someone's day." This day is just set aside in the year for us to remember and remind ourselves that loving other people unconditionally is something we should all strive for.

It doesn't always have to be about getting gifts.

It doesn't have to be about the bears and hearts and chocolate. \

And it definitely does not have to be about only being in a romantic relationship.

Yet, society makes it this way. But even though society creates these things for us, that doesn't mean we have to celebrate it this way, and it doesn't mean we have to partake in this. We don't have to conform to these things!

Let's be honest, Valentine's Day is just a good way to celebrate love. It's about celebrating love in general. Should you not celebrate someone's birthday because every day you should be celebrating their birth?

Just take time to say you love someone this Valentine's Day

Yeah you're right. We should be using our time to tell those that we love, that we love them... every day! Not just on Valentine's Day. But, why don't you take this day and just remind someone... anyone that you miss, a friend who you haven't talked to in a while, or just anyone you love, and let them know. "I know it's valentine's day and I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you! Hope all is well. I love you."

You choose how you make this holiday. Make it how you want to make it.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." — Marcus Aurelius