What Does A UVA Color Guard Member Do Before Games

All Of The Action Happens Before The Game For This Color Guard Member

It's game time... Well almost.

579
Marc Paulo Guzman

This is my third year in the color guard at UVA and one of my favorite days of the week is game day! A typical game day is very different for me than the average college student, so I thought I would give you an inside scoop and walk you through it! So here is your exclusive look into my game day as a UVA color guard and Cavalier Marching Band member.

First, I arrive at the practice field hours before the game in my game day pants, my game day shirt, black Nike socks, and my black color guard shoes. I like to show up with my hair done because I don't have a lot of time to do it after practice. The color guard gets their early and it is super important to be on time.

During practice, a lot of people's family and fans sit and watch practice on game day. First, we stretch and run the Pre-game show, which is the show we do before the game. The show consists of school songs to get the crowd pumped before the game. After that, the band warms up the songs for the halftime show that week. While the guard and twirlers practice their routines for the show. The marching band at UVA performers a new show for every game. So sometimes we only have a week to practice a new show.

After warming up we march the show a few times. Once practice is over a lot of parents, family, and friends come down on the field to join us. Together we sing the "The Good Ole Song," our school's hymn.

Next, it is time to eat, or stuff food in your face as fast you can. Normally we get an hour or less to eat, to change, and to do makeup. So I have to move really fast. I normally only eat about half of my food, and I will save the other half for later. Then I run into the band building and change into my uniform. Once I am in uniform I head to the bathroom and use the mirrors in there to do my makeup fairly quickly.

Once the entire guard is ready, we join the rest of the band in the band room. Then while we are waiting to leave, we dance to music and get pumped for the game with everyone. Then before we leave, we receive last minute instructions from the directors. From there we take buses and head to the stadium!

So that is it, you now know my typical before game schedule! That is all that happens before I hit the stadium for the game.