USC's Bateman Team Campaign Empowering Young Girls

Girls With Purpose funds childhood cancer research and mentors young girls all in one.

268
With Purpose

Women have the potential to be each other's own worst enemies.

Women have the potential to be each other's best supporters.

Why do so many abide by option #1?

There are so many key players that lead girls to tear each other down rather than build each other up, whether it be social media, boys, popularity, etc. Sadly, many of these key players instigate girls at a young age.

On the bright side, there has been a shift in recent years. The birth of the long overdue “women supporting women" mantra has become prevalent in society.

This is especially prevalent in the University of South Carolina's “Bateman Team." Part of a course in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications, “The Bateman Team" consists of USC students who enter in a nation-wide annual competition called “The Bateman Competition." Hosted by the Public Relations Student Society of America- an organization in which there is also a chapter at USC, the goal of the competition is to allow students to collaborate with a nonprofit client to promote the organization.

In total “women supporting women" fashion, this year's client is “With Purpose," a youth-led movement funding childhood cancer research, with their collaborative campaign being “Girls With Purpose."

Girls with Purpose was created to empower young girls to be leaders within their communities. It was created to show that females should build each other up, not tear each other down. It was created to show young girls that they can transcend any limits society tries to set.

Through the Girls With Purpose mentorship program, elementary-aged girls pair with outstanding female role models at USC. Through local fundraisers, events, and crafting and filling care packages for young cancer patients at Palmetto Health, these young girls and college women support and bring awareness to Girls With Purpose.

Female empowerment is paramount. Having a female role model at a young age sets the pace for young girls to become empowered females. Girls With Purpose makes it happen.

Girls With Purpose is hosting a creating and gift packing event on Sunday, Feb. 25 at Whole Foods- located at 702 Cross Hill Road and Fort Jackson Blvd, Columbia, S.C. The event will take place from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. in the Whole Foods community room. If you're interested in joining movement for female empowerment as well as supporting childhood cancer research, you definitely won't want to miss it.