Transferring To The University Of South Carolina

7 Reasons Transferring To The University Of South Carolina Was One Of My Best Decisions

Here's to out with the old and in with the new.

1301

This time last year I attended the College of Charleston as a freshman and since then a lot has changed. I am now a student at the University of South Carolina and I am very excited to see what my sophomore year has to hold. As I reflect on this first full week of school at USC, I have realized that I loved some things about CofC (like my sorority sisters!) but Carolina is where I'm meant to be.

Here are some reasons that I have fallen in love with USC even more after the first week of school.

1. The amount of events that go on everyday

Whether its the farmers market on Greene Street, a poster sale or a volleyball game, there is always something fun you can find to do no matter your interests! Events happen during all different times of day; one-night last week an organization planned for Russell Dickerson to play a free concert outside of Russell House for students!

2. President Pastides

Harris Pastides

UofSC / Twitter

This is Carolina's president and he had a photoshoot with an in-training service dog... do I have to say anything else? President Pastides has also been known for taking selfies with students on the street and he even owns his own Carolina jersey with his last name on it.

3. The amount of students

While going from thirty people in a class to three hundred and ninety-three is a big change, I love that so many people attend Carolina. There's always new people, whether you're crossing the street or sitting in class, you always have the opportunity to meet someone new. As I said before, the huge amount of people result in large class sizes which can sometimes work to your benefit. When you're in lecture with three hundred other students, professors consider attendance to be a chore, so most of the time it's not required. Get sick and can't attend? No need to notify the professor or get a doctor's note, just get the notes from a friend.

4. My major

I am majoring in journalism and would like to eventually become a journalist. Carolina is one of the top schools in the country to get a journalism degree from, which also helped me in making my decision to transfer. The new journalism school is one of my favorite places on campus because of it's up to date materials and technology.

5. All of the clubs and organizations

There are so many clubs and organizations that are offered at USC which is just another way to meet new people. Sororities, fraternities, sports teams, intramurals, student government, young life and even Odyssey are just a few of the plethora of organizations that Carolina has to offer on campus. There is literally a club for almost anything you're interested in. If you can't find one, then you can make one!

6. The school's location

While I love living on my own, a twenty-minute drive home to see family every once in a while is extremely convenient. Randomly being taken out to lunch by my dad on a weekday isn't too bad either. USC is also located in the middle of the state so a weekend road trip to the beach or the mountains is always an option!

7. ... and of course FOOTBALL!

College of Charleston doesn't have a football team, so attending a school that does is a dream come true. The tailgates are one of everyone's favorite football traditions, except this year the infamous frat lots are extremely harder to get into (I'm not mad or anything). Nothing beats spending Saturdays with friends and getting into the game to watch the Gamecocks for free! #GoCocks

I'm sure I'll find even more reasons to love USC in the weeks to come as I learn my way around downtown Columbia. I am extremely excited to make new friends, get involved and get the best out of my college experience. While transferring is not typical for most college students, it was one of the best decisions I've made so far.