USC Panhellenic Bans Door-Stacking

Recently, USC Panhellenic banned Door-Stacking. How will this affect fall recruitment?
The pros and cons of Panhellenic banning Door-Stacking

Here, at the University of Southern California, sorority rush is a pretty big deal. Many believe recruitment is only intense in the South, but people forget that we are in the South. . . of California. So, everyone can expect an extravagant rush process.

This process not only includes chit-chatting up a storm, eating Pinterest-perfect snacks, and touring the beautiful sorority houses, but also includes listening to hundreds of girls screaming and singing while hair-flipping.To top off each rush day, potential new members stand gawking at the door-stack, AKA sorority girls squished into every crevice of their door simultaneously singing and flipping their long hair back and forth – which takes hours and hours of practice, as well as great skill.

However, this year, all of the girls who are rushing for their first time will not be able to witness this infamous door-stack. USC’s Panhellenic Council has officially banned all sorority houses from performing the door-stack. Because this is a momentous decision, many people have differing opinions about the verdict.

Those Against:

While most trust that Panhellenic has made the best decision they could, many sorority girls still are upset that they will no longer be able to flip their long locks while popping out of their house’s doorway. Additionally, many think that the door-stack is a tradition that should be continued for future sorority girls to take in and appreciate. For years, sororities up and down the row have practiced and executed the intricate performance. Many believe the door-stack really adds to rush and hey, no pain, no gain – right? Pi Beta Phi member Blair Burleson states, “It makes me sad because no one can appreciate my beautiful hair!” Clearly, girls would rather risk some injuries to maintain this amusing performance.

Moreover, this decision also raises the question of “What will be taken away next?”

Those For:

The people that completely support Panhellenic are thankful. To many, rush school during the end of summer is a pain; cutting out the door-stacking practice will probably make for shorter days since there is less to learn. In addition, most girls do not want to find themselves in pain at the end of the day. Many have reported receiving minor injuries while partaking in the door-stack. While they would frantically assume their positions, girls would get cut and bruised. Also, singing and hair-flipping within the bounds of the doorway allowed for girls’ heads to collide with others. Freshman Maddy Hinck discussed this issue and said,  “I am relieved because I probably would get a concussion.”

Although these injuries made for funny and interesting rush stories, most sorority girls would rather wait until they can receive them on a Thursday night than suffer them within their own house, while sober. 

Those With the “Long Hair, Don’t Care” Attitude:

A handful of girls in sororities could care less about this decision. They trust Panhellenic’s decision and would rather not put in the effort to form an opinion on the matter, since the fate of the door-stack has already been decided. These girls would rather focus on the other intricate parts of rush that will help them achieve the pledge class that they want. Potential new members will not even know what they are or aren’t missing out on. Not to mention, none of the sororities on the row can door-stack anymore, so why does it matter?