Donald Trump's Coronavirus Response Isn't Good Enought

If there is anything Americans should take away from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it's that we are not as advanced as we think we are. Unfortunately, it has taken an ugly event like this to truly prove it. When you're a child, you believe your parents know how to handle tough situations, doctors always know the best treatment, teachers will do anything to support and guide you, and the government will protect you.

If I have learned anything growing in a time where terrorism, violence, hate, self-harm, mass shootings, global disease, etc. is normalized — it's that, we don't know as much as we think we do.

I think as a society all generations living collectively believe that we are very advanced. Because we can communicate with people across the world, cook pasta within seconds, and have a drone deliver anything we need to our front porches, we think we have all the answers.

But we're nowhere close.

Once COVID-19 presented itself late last year in Wuhan, China, the world stood on its toes awaiting their government officials to make their first move.

Donald Trump M.D. was too little too late.

Regardless of your political beliefs, from an ethical perspective, President Trump and company did not do all that could have been done back in January when this tragedy became a developing issue. According to a New York TImes article summarizing the missteps,

"[This] examination reveals the president was warned about the potential for a pandemic but that internal divisions, lack of planning and his faith in his own instincts led to a halting response.
"The shortcomings of Mr. Trump's performance has played out with remarkable transparency as part of his daily effort to dominate television screens and the national conversation."

We are living in an unprecedented, scary time in history and the biggest disappointment has to have been the failure of our government to react.

But in the words of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, "We did this."

First of all, countless people continue to deny social distancing advisories which are beyond frustrating and brain-rattling. We have created a society where we admit our nonsensical value and high regard for celebrities. We have allowed our government to become corrupt with people who have little to no interest to aid the public, let alone serve them. If this virus has shown America anything, it's that we have our values backward. It's time for us to seriously start caring for one another and elect public officials that have humanity's best interest.

From Your Site Articles