Up Next In 2020: Saharan Dust
News

Up Next In 2020: Saharan Dust

As if 2020 couldn't get any weirder, a huge cloud of dust from the Saharan desert has made its way over to the United States.

11
Up Next In 2020: Saharan Dust

The massive cloud of dust that made its way across the Atlantic is nothing super out of the ordinary. According to NASA, they are nothing new, but this one is bigger than usual. In fact, it has stretched more than 5,000 miles. I don't remember ever seeing anything about Saharan Dust on the news in the past, but it is pretty standard. While this is probably the least frightening thing that's happened in 2020 so far, there are still some health risks.

Since it's a large dust cloud, visibility will be affected. It may be harder to see when driving, for example, not unlike morning fog. It can also make it difficult to breathe, similar to the air in the desert. If you have any preexisting lung conditions, you may want to wear a mask or face covering anytime you're outside to keep the dust at bay. This certainly doesn't help the COVID-19 situation. At this point, it'll be hard to tell if you've got the virus or if you've been outside too long and accumulated dust in your lungs.There is a silver lining, however. The dust makes sunsets more vibrant and colorful! I've personally experienced one of these enhanced sunsets, and it was beautiful. The sky was orange, pink, and even purple! If you're looking for your next post on the 'gram, look outside one evening for an even better "golden hour."

So far, in 2020, we've had threats of World War III, Australian wildfires, Kobe Bryant's death, the impeachment trials, "murder hornets," BLM protests, and of course, the Coronavirus. The Saharan dust storms are just another nail in the coffin. Maybe that's not the best analogy. . .

Hopefully, this year will get better as it goes instead of worse, but remember that we're all in this together. I know staying at home due to COVID or the dust can be mentally straining. Especially if you live with people that you don't easily get along with or alone. Just be sure to follow the regulations and requirements so that we can get back to normal life. Hopefully, 2020 won't be out to kill us in the long run.