To All The Girls That Have Never Been Kissed, There Is Still Time

Your life will not end if you don't kiss a boy before graduating high school.

236

I'm just going to start off by saying I have never had a boyfriend or a proper kiss. I have played spin the bottle and been drunkenly kissed at bars, but for my personal agenda, I do not count those as proper first kisses. The closest thing I had to a boyfriend was three years ago when I hung out with this guy every day during study hall, asked him to come to three different events with me, him blowing me off, eventually stopped talking to me, and got a different girlfriend. The saddest part about this was that we had been friends since like first grade, his parents both loved me, his father was my basketball coach for like three years, and we were literally the same person. It's fine now, I have lost interest in him and have moved on. As I go on with my life, I know I don't need a man in it because I've done just fine without one for almost 21 years. I just want to experience what it's like to have a boyfriend, and one day I'll get there, but right now it's my time.

I think the reason I don't have a boyfriend or even a boy who's a friend, is because of the unrealistic expectations movies and books give me. I love watching romantic comedies, it is one of my favorite pastimes. But these guys set the bar so high, so I set my expectations that high. It has really put a damper on my view of relationships. But when I watch some of these movies about relationships in high school, the main girl is always so confused as to how she's 16 and never been kissed. And it just frustrates me that this girl that's years younger than me is freaking out about not having been kissed. I never thought it was a big deal that I have never been properly kissed or on a date before watching these movies. But movies like these make young girls feel like there's something wrong about them. That they're undatable or something. Which is not the case whatsoever. However, what are these teenagers supposed to think?

Movies and books like these are so unpractical, and even though they are works of fiction, there are girls that believe what they're preaching. Some girls think they're undatable in their teenage years because they've never been in a relationship. I think that is far from the truth. People always say that you'll find someone when you're not looking, and I don't believe that's true at all. If you're not in a relationship, you're always looking for a new partner, whether you realize it or not. I don't think that longing for a human connection and love ever goes away. We all want someone to share our deepest secrets with and someone to be by our side when everything goes wrong. Human is a lonely species, and we all want someone to spend our lives with.

So, putting these notions and thoughts in young girls' minds, and even girls in their early 20s, is problematic because then they start to think something is wrong with them. Nothing is, it's just these unrealistic expectations plastered into our minds. Everything is perfect in romantic comedies. And once you realize that, your love life can improve. And I think that once you get into that first relationship, you'll have more of an idea of what to expect and what you want in a relationship.