An Unpopular Opinion About Jazz

An Unpopular Opinion About Jazz

In today's society, there are obvious opinions about what type of music is best, even if it's not the most influential.

450
An Unpopular Opinion About Jazz

Jazz is an era of music that was innovative and moving. It created legendary artists and sounds that will always play an important role in the history of music. Jazz created different genres that were fun and different than any other music. Its history started early and stayed strong throughout decades of musical reform. I believe jazz played an important role in the way that other music was created. Today, music is completely different than it was in the 1960s, for example. But the music in the 1960s definitely influenced the way music is today. Music is a constant moving platform that always creates new sounds, ideas and meanings. I am passionate about many different kinds of music, starting from early decades to today. I am discussing this unpopular opinion about jazz because I want to express the importance of different types of music especially in relation to today's society.

The music that I am most passionate about starts from the era of music in the 1960s. The 1960s created a progressive movement in most of its music genres, consuming the idea of peace and equality. During a time of war and separation, the progressive movement brought people together in peaceful harmony. I have always been completely passionate about this era of music, which brings me to the modern music that I listen to. I consistently listen to alternative music, reggae and indie. The one that I believe relates most to my passion and my knowledge in jazz is reggae. When I listen to reggae, I feel the peace and harmony that is expressed in the progressive movement. Reggae is all about love and passion for certain subjects, and it also takes many different forms. By this, I mean many genres within the genre. There is rock reggae, classic reggae, modern reggae etc. Classic reggae is the type that you hear from early artists including legend Bob Marley. Modern reggae attempts to keep the classic swing of reggae while also adding modern elements. Music has transformed in many directions as it has reached the most recent decade. As time goes on, music progresses, and this is exactly how jazz transformed into the popular and classic music genre that it is today.

In relation to reggae, jazz transformed as decades went by. Early jazz featured big bands and classic jazz sounds. As decades went by, bands turned into groups and groups turned into solo artists, while also creating different genres for each progression. Just like reggae, different genres in jazz include swing, be-bop, ragtime etc. Music can include genres within genres, which makes it all so unique. I think the one thing that really draws me to jazz in relation to reggae is the peaceful remedy that jazz brings to the table. The sound of the instruments is soothing and warm, not to mention jazz helped to promote equality during times of serious racial segregation in history. Both jazz and reggae help to promote progressive movements and peace. To me, progression is what music is all about. Jazz is such a different sound than the music that is presented nowadays. Jazz is underappreciated and unpopular in the millennial preference. I believe all types of music have a purpose. I took an elective called Evolution of Jazz and it was honestly just a random elective choice. I didn’t listen to jazz very much until taking this course and now that I have, I have gained a new appreciation for it. Comparing jazz to the types of music that I listen to is interesting and gives a whole new perspective on the way that different music genres correlate with one another. I am a part of the millennial generation that does not think about jazz as their first choice of music, but my new appreciation toward the genre has opened my eyes to the influence that all types of music have on one another.

I am attempting to express the importance of jazz because of the certain types of music that is popular today. I am incredibly unsatisfied with the way that music is progressing in this generation. I am so passionate about jazz because it relates to a time back when music had a purpose, like I mentioned earlier. I am not saying there is no good music nowadays, but the albums that are popular and featured on the radio are the ones I am most embarrassed about. Like it said, this is strictly opinion and an unpopular one at that. I don't expect my readers to all of a sudden be into jazz music. Honestly, jazz is a mere example of a vast amount of music genres that had a real influence on the way music progressed throughout the years. My only hope is that the decent music with a purpose and a message doesn't eventually get lost and buried underneath the popular mainstream music that is featured at the top.