My University Took Away My Major: A Letter to CMU From A Pre-Athletic Training Major

No major, no money, and no choices left.

57
Taylor Knight

Dear Colorado Mesa University,

I had planned to spend the next four years of my life here. I even turned down some large scholarships at big name universities to come to Colorado and get that "small school" feel. Everything was going great, I had friends, a plan for the future, and worked hard to get scholarships. That all changed April 3rd, 2017. The email you sent not only affected me but every other Athletic Training major that hasn't been accepted into the clinical portion of the program. That email wrecked our lives.

We're not mad that our major got taken away. We knew it would happen eventually. We're mad that we were kept in the dark, told that the class of 2020 we would be the last class accepted into the clinical program. The date you chose to release this email was harrowing. Two days after the majority of colleges and universities closed their transfer application; leaving us with canceled classes, no major, and nowhere to go.

Meetings with Dr. Hawkins, who had tried to be as helpful as possible, provide little to no help. The proposed solution? An undergraduate degree in Exercise Science followed by a Master's degree in Athletic Training. This solution is what most of us came to CMU to avoid.

You need to understand a few things:

1. We're not angry with Dr. Hawkins. We just don't know who to be angry with.

2. I did not come here for a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science. Although the degrees are similar, they are not the same. I want to have a career as an Athletic Trainer, not a Physical Therapist.

3. I feel like I wasted a year of college (and the money that went with it). College is not cheap. Especially when you're an out of state student. A lot of us gave up scholarships to bigger schools to feel like we were a person, not a number. Now we have credits that won't transfer anywhere, no money, and we feel like a number more than ever.

To all of the Athletic Training majors that are now considered "undeclared": don't settle. Do what you need to do and get the best education for what you want. It's your choice, not CMU's, not your roommate's. Make the decision for yourself.

So Colorado Mesa University, in a few weeks, after finals are done and grades are posted, I'm transferring. Moving to a school with my program that isn't going anywhere. I probably won't look back. Thanks for the memories, but I need a degree in Athletic Training, not Exercise Science. Most importantly, thank you, CMU, for making me realize that I have a brighter future at a bigger school.

Best Wishes,

A future Athletic Trainer