University Of Richmond Students Realize They're Unable To Vote
Politics

Students showed up and were frustrated that they couldn't vote.

31
Flickr // secretlondon123

While campaigning for Andreas Addison outside precinct 101, two University of Richmond students saw some UR students being unable to vote.

Precinct 101’s polling location was at Saint James Armenian Church, where many UR students were voting after registering in Virginia.

Westhampton College first-year students Lindsey Paul, from Kansas City, and Claire Mendelson, from Richmond, handed out flyers campaigning for Addison, a UR alum running for first district city council. They were campaigning from 5:00 pm to 7:00, when the polls closed.

“There’s been some frustration-- so, a lot of kids that thought they were registered at UR showed up and weren’t registered,” Paul said, “I’ve seen a lot of people that we know walk out frustrated.” Paul suggested that some of the issues might have come with discrepancies between becoming registered through the Bonner Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) and other parties that came to campus throughout the election season.

Paul is on the Senate and heard concerns last week but people still had struggles voting today.

“I think people were disappointed for sure... it’s a disenfranchisement of our voting block for sure,” Paul said.

“That’s really the thing that’s stuck out with me. People came here expecting to be able to vote and they found out right then that they couldn’t and I couldn’t even imagine how frustrating that would be,” Mendelson said.

The two got involved with the campaign after Addison spoke at the University of Richmond’s law school.

“We stayed after and talked to him and he asked if we wanted to be involved.”

Though Paul was upset that students were unable to vote, she still said it was pretty exciting to be there.

“We’re both excited,” Mendelson and Paul said in response to how they felt about the night.