How To Survive The University Of Miami

How To Survive The University Of Miami

Everything you need to know to survive this hurricane.

224
How To Survive The University Of Miami
Samantha Harrison

Senior summer we all say our goodbyes to our best high school friends and prepare for the journey ahead wherever we decide for it to take us. 2,500 of these high school graduates chose the University of Miami this year. And let me tell you, we did not know what we were in for. So to any people visiting, any incoming freshman, or to any students…

This is what you need to survive at the University of Miami:

5-10 pairs of sunglasses

If you're like me, you will drop a pair off of the staircase of your dorm when you're trying to take an artsy picture of campus, and you will probably lose about 5.

On the bright side, it's extremely easy to get free sunglasses here. I’ve collected old spice and EVEN Budweiser shades with...wait for it…bottle openers on them.

2-3 umbrellas

You leave walking to class smiling and enjoying life, then out of nowhere, mother nature decides to punish you for the bad life choices you’ve been making and you’re in the middle of what you think is a hurricane.

#gocanes

Water Bottles

So you don’t die in the beginning and end of the school year heat.

Starbucks Giftcard

So you just don’t die…

If you never liked coffee, welcome to college you love it now

A Lamborgini with Pizza Decals

Okay, maybe not, but you might see this beauty around campus. You do you man.

Tissues

1. For when you decide you hate your major and contemplate your entire life.
  2. For when you realize you realize there’s actually classes at this school.
  3. For when you have to walk by the pool on the way to class.
  4. For when you spend all your money on alcohol and food and you get that call from your parents the next day.
  5. For awkward encounters in the dining hall.

Vitamin C

Sure, there’s free vitamin D here almost every day, but there’s also hundreds of germy kids living like savages in one building together so… self-explanatory.

#Stopdrinkingoutofthebottle2016

Phone Insurance

I cannot stress this one ENOUGH. If you do not have this and you are on this campus, or any college campus for that matter, go get phone insurance, right now. I have been here less than a year and I am on my third phone.

The ground here is pretty hard so if you drop your phone, it probably wont make it.

Frat houses are dangerous places for phones, R.I.P.

I’m pretty sure mine was stolen... I won’t mention where, don’t worry, I only held a grudge against the frat for the 2 weeks that I used my laptop as a phone and followed people to get into the building because my 'Cane card (school ID) was lost too. (I didn’t want to pay for another one)

Alarm Clock

To use as an alarm so you go to class when you lose your phone

Find my iPhone

To find the phone…

Hoverboard

JK lol

1. Banned
  2. Everyone will hate you
  3. Many humans have working legs

UBER

Unless you'rw trying to hitch-hike or make some new older friends who want to drive you everywhere, you are spending money on Uber at this school

But, hey, some uber drivers are a diamond in the rough and make your entire night worth it.

And sometimes its even so fun your friends even throw up along the ride you're paying for!

Lyft

When you have a terrible experience with Uber, check out Lyft

Spanish/English Dictionary

OR option #2: a roommate from a Spanish speaking country

This is the city of Miami after all,

Some of the best people I’ve met here speak Spanish, and many other languages for that matter

**My roommate speaks Spanish in her sleep**

The Greek Δlphabet

You’ll eventually learn the difference between all the fraternity and sorority names

For example, your greatest accomplishment might be when you can read ΣΔΤ shirts as Sigma Delta Tau and not EAT

A Book of Exotic Birds and Lizards

Maybe not but, this is serious… DO NOT FEED THE CAMPUS DUCKS (if they even are ducks)

At least one one-piece bathing suit

1. They’re in style and cuter than a lot of two-pieces
  2. The real key: Sometimes you just want go to a pool party and take shots (or eat all the jell-O shots) without feeling bloated and still be hotter than the rest
  3. Chipotle is good
  4. Late night dining is sometimes good

The dining hall app

So you don’t order Thai food or pizza again, when there’s stir fry or fried rice being served

Heels

People wear heels to the mall here, you're lucky if someone puts on make up (or a bra) to go to the mall where I’m from

Headbands & Hairspray

TODAY: Temp: 85, Humidity: 99%

Hoodie

So you can buy Ben and Jerry’s at Outtakes (the convienence store on campus) late at night without anyone seeing your face

TAILGATE SWAG

Stock up because it will go by fast and you'll miss it more than anything...if you can remember it

Friends

The friends and people you meet make whatever experiences you have worth while and are there for you if you no matter what.

It doesn’t matter if you spent all your money, lost your phone, drive a Lambo with pizzas on it, or eat all your friends food when you come home drunk. They got you.

Appreciate all the amazing people you meet here or wherever you are