A University Of Alabama Student Is Under Fire For Using The N-Word On Her Finsta

Harley Barber, a former member of Alpha Phi and a student at The University of Alabama received a quick backlash for her vulgar words in recent social media videos.
36758

A word that cuts deep, a word that is so brazenly tossed around by members of other ethnicities.

The N-word.

For centuries this term has been used as a racial slur towards Africans and African-Americans, its painful, derogatory meaning has been used to physically, mentally and verbally assault millions of Black people.

So why couldn't Harley Barber understand the negative connotation or the repercussions of using such a word?

Harley Barber is a student at the University of Alabama who said the N-word, repeatedly, in a couple of videos posted to her "Finsta" ("fake Instagram").

You can see the content of the video below.

LMAOOOOO BRO SHE SO BOLD.... yeah her life over after these videos lmaooo pic.twitter.com/1vYt80ACkr
— Tabarius da Feminist (@TabisBack) January 16, 2018

Barber identified herself as a member of the Alpha Phi sorority but has since had her membership terminated, according to an official statement from the sorority.

Another member of Alpha Phi told me Barber's videos were "disgusting" and "appauling" [sic].

Whether she will be removed from The University of Alabama has not be determined. Nevertheless, I think we know how this one is going to play out.

1. The University of Alabama is going to make a very vague blanket statement about how these views do not coincide with the views of the University of Alabama, which they did and,

2. Many individuals are going to be upset about this, media will be contacted, the stories will be run, cornering the University to make a move, however,

3. The University of Alabama will continue to make statements instead of expelling Harley.

I will be very surprised if they expel Harley Barber but she deserves it. Any student who dares to let such a vulgar word part their lips deserves to be expelled.

There are centuries of negative history built upon that word, and no one should say it in all its vulgarity.

Let us not forget the centuries of lynching that goes behind that word. Ku Klux Klan members and members of the White community HANGED African-Americans while chanting the N-word.

Let us not forget the countless African-American men and women who had to walk down the street, enduring verbal and physical bullying, while the N-word was being chanted.

No one takes these actions into consideration when saying the word.

Instead, Barber says it so effortlessly while cursing and threatening the viewers if they so dare to out her to her sorority or the University — while at the same time demeaning the viewers and telling them to hit up their local Neiman Marcus to buy her fur vest, something that is completely unrelated and ignorant.

Let's hope the University of Alabama finally decides to take some action for once and stop letting these young White individuals get away with saying and doing whatever they think they can without any consequences.

Update: Barber has been expelled from The University of Alabama. Read the full story on NJ.com here.