28 Urban Slang Terms Every New Yorker Knows

The New York City youth is greatly influenced by hip-hop culture, and hip-hop culture is continuously influenced by New York City. With the colorful expressions found in both hip-hop and the streets of New York, colorful language is inevitable. The truth is, you're not a real New Yorker if you've never heard these terms before.

1. Whack = (adj.) used to describe something that is appalling in nature

"That's whack!"

2. Grill = (v.) to stare, usually impolitely, to give a dirty look

"Dude stop grilling my girlfriend, I know her spray tan looks whack."

3. To front/Fronting = (v.) to put on a façade, acting like you are something that you are not.

"Stop fronting like you own the place."

4. Cop = (v.) to buy

"I'm about to cop some chips, you want some?"

5. Catch these hands = phrase used to initiate a fight

"If that girl keeps grilling me she can catch these hands."

Variations: throw these hands; throw hands; catch this fade

6. Crusty = (adj.) used to describe someone who is dirty or trashy

"Girl, did you shower today? Your hair is looking all types of musty, dusty, and crusty."

Synonyms: musty, dusty

7. Lit = (adj.) used to describe someone or something that is amazing in every sense

Variations: litty

8. Mad = (adv.) very

"Stay away from her, bro. She has mad problems."

Synonyms: dumb, OD, stupid

9. Dumb = (adv.) extremely

"This party is dumb lit."

Synonyms: mad, OD, stupid

10. Brick = (adj.) very cold

"Damn, it's mad brick out."

11. Tight = (v.) to be upset

"Stop running your fingers through my hair; you're getting me dumb tight."

12. Thirsty = (adj.) desperate, (n.) someone who is desperate

"I didn't tag you in my photo because I don't want any thirsties following you."

Variations: thirsties (n)

13. Buggin' = freaking out, acting up

"My mom just asked me to clean all the dishes even though it's not my turn. She's buggin."

Synonyms: wylin'/wildin'

14. Son = (n.) a good friend

"Of course I know him, that's my son!"

Synonyms: B

15. B = (n.) a good friend

"What's good, B?"

16. Sus = shady or false

*Short for "suspect" or "suspicious"

"That girl is mad sus for looking at me like that."

17. Dead ass = (adj.) seriously

"You're dead ass getting me tight, B."

*Could also be used as follows:

"Dead ass?" = Are you serious?

"Dead ass!" = Yes.

18. Guap = (n.) money

"Okay, this to all of my enemies that seeing me gettin' guap right now." —Big Sean

Synonyms: Mulah, dough, casheesh

19. Grimey = (adj.) used to describe a back-stabber

"I'm telling you, bro. He's mad grimey, don't trust him."

20. You woulda thought = a more exciting way to say "no"

"You woulda thought I was going to let you use my laptop to log on to your shady-ass websites."

21. OD/Ohdee/Odee = (adj.) excessive, an abbreviation for "over-doing"

"Man, my professor just assigned OD work on BlackBoard."

Synonyms: mad, dumb

22. Wylin'/Wildin' = out of control

"That girl was wildin' last night when she threatened to throw hands at you for no reason."

Synonyms: buggin'

23. Facts = (adj.) something that is rooted in truth

"That's a fact, B."

Synonyms: true

24. Snuff = (v.) to punch

"I should've never threatened to throw hands. He straight up snuffed me in the throat."

Synonyms: rock

25. Wavy = (adj.) used to describe something that is cool or nice

"I'm so wavy in the turbo Porsche, she so wavy in the new Mercedes" -- Ty Dolla $ign

Synonyms: dope, lit

26. Kicks = (n.) sneakers

"Where'd you cop those kicks from?"

27. Beef = (n.) having a fight or holding a grudge against another person or group of people

"Tommy told me you guys have beef."

28. Ice = (n.) jewelry

"Ice on my neck cost me 10 times 3." — D.R.A.M.

Variations: icy (adj.)