U N G R A T E F U L

U N G R A T E F U L

You probably aren't as grateful as you think you are.

8
U N G R A T E F U L
Mikayla Winters

If you’re reading this, I’m assuming you own some sort of electronic device or at least have access to one. Think about all the people who have never seen a screen.

Look down. You're (probably) wearing clothes. Did you have more than one outfit to choose from when you dressed yourself today? Think about everyone who doesn't have that luxury.

Look around. If you’re not at home, how did you get there? Did you walk? Think about those feet that took you there. Did you drive? Think about the car that took you there. Did someone give you a ride? Think about that friend who took you there. Did you pay someone to drive you there? Think about that money that you were able to use to get there.

You woke up this morning. What did you sleep on? Most likely something comfortable. Think about all the people who have to sleep in the cold, in the heat, or on the ground.

What are your plans today? Tomorrow? Do you have a job? Think about everyone struggling to find a job or working overtime just to pay the bills. Do you go to school? Think about all of the people who would do anything just to receive an education. Do you have a family who loves you? Think about those who are suffering from loneliness.

I could go on and on and on. But I’ll stop there.

Think about all of those things I questioned you about. How many times have you chosen to complain about how they were less than perfect rather than being thankful for having them?

Once I heard a story about a man who was so pumped about this whole God thing that literally everywhere he went, he thanked God. “Thank you for this restaurant. Thank you for this orthodontist. Thank you for this house. Thank you for this school.” Can you imagine?!

Think about how many things every day that we take for granted. We complain all the time when little things don’t go our way as if we deserve to have the world to cater to our every need.

I know I’m guilty of it. I lose sight of everything God gives me and choose to whine instead. I forget just how blessed I am and--more importantly-- how completely undeserving I am.

I know it’s cliché, but every day is a gift. God didn’t have to wake you up this morning. He didn’t have to make you a few minutes late to keep you from getting in an accident. He didn’t have to protect you from getting laid off at work. But He did.

So let’s try to be more intentional about our attitudes. Let’s remember that God has us right here, right now, for a reason and that we truly don’t deserve everything that He blesses us.

And you know what? Gratefulness is contagious. If you choose to express how much you love the gifts God gives you, I guarantee other people will take note. Hey, they might even wake up to realize that they aren't doing as well as they could be, either.

So let's change some things. Instead of complaining, let's understand that we don't deserve a pain-free life. Let's show this world how much we love the life God has given us. Let's start a wave.