What is the meaning of art?

Do We Need To Analyze Art?

Was it created to be seen with a critical eye or with an open mind?

65
Do We Need To Analyze Art?

The creative streak of a child is boundless. He'll make art of whatever you give him – be it Play-Doh or Lego, crayons or paint. It won't necessarily always be understandable, but it would be an expression of the emotions being felt, of the thoughts churning around the head. As kids, we drew pictures and filled them with all the colors available to us. People never expect these pictures drawn by a child to make absolute sense; reasoning that they do not have a complete understanding of the world. Why then do we choose to ignore this simple truth when viewing the art of a person who identifies himself as an artist?

People easily condemn a painting they don't understand, call a poem ridiculous if it doesn't rhyme well or sounds too cheesy. Then there are those who call artists a sham and their works a waste of time and money. It is sad that the world we live in requires an artist to explain his art – a poem has become a lab rat to be dissected in English class with the poet's feelings being tossed into the bin; a painting is worth something if it gets sold at an auction for a high price, only to be hung on the wall of a mansion, seldom looked at; writing can be considered a profession only if a publisher thinks your story can be the next bestseller.

Art isn't just a thing that you can touch or see, it is an expression, a channel between our soul and the outside world. It touches the brain's most civilized center and pokes its most primitive core. It is all about how it makes you feel and not about what you understand from it. The world today doesn't make sense, so there is no reason to paint pictures that do. You cannot judge if the painting or the sculpture or the poem is right or wrong. When creating, an artist has no fear of perfection, for he knows he'll never reach it. Art isn't always about the pretty things; it is something that comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable. An artist is satisfied with his work only when he has successfully bled the madness within into a physical form, so it may speak that which words are unable to explain. You cannot expect to understand it, but only feel the myriad of emotions.

We are all born artists, the problem is staying that when you grow up. I write this article trying to capture the true essence of art, not just for the general public, but also hoping to remind all discouraged artists to not give up because of the criticisms they may have faced. Your willingness to do something that may or may not work is what makes you an artist. When you pick up that pencil and begin to draw, you start putting a line around an idea. And it always starts with an idea, before turning into a masterpiece. Art gives you life and sets you free and can never keep you prisoner – of yourself, of style, reputation or success.

Like our imagination art too is boundless. So don't cage it or restrict it within constraints. When an artist shares his work with you, he is opening a window into his world and inviting you in. Be sure to enter with an open heart and not simply with a critical eye. We are all artists, painting our lives upon the canvas of reality. Mix the colors your own way and apply emotion liberally. Don't be afraid to let your brush strokes show, and above all else, make sure your art has a soul. Create that which frees your heart and soul, and the applause for your work will follow.