14 Things Only People Who Went To Jewish Sleep-Away Camp Will Understand

If you spent 7 weeks out of the year making friendship bracelets, running around in ridiculous clothes, or singing camp songs, you'll understand.

294
Jackie Berchtein

For as long as I remember, my middle school and part of high school years consisted of waiting for me to get my bunk number and the day that I would be back at camp. The months leading up to camp consisted of multiple Target trips as well as trying to find the coolest shoes that had backs on them. The eight years that I had at Camp Tevya were the best eight summers of my life. Although eventually the camp days had to come to an end, the memories and friendships that I made at camp will truly last a lifetime. The experiences and lessons that I learned at camp are ones that I will never forget. If you went to sleep-away camp, you will definitely understand these 14 things.

1. Not having your phone for 7 weeks is the best feeling in the world.

2. Camp goggles are a thing. Cute boys at camp are different than cute boys at home.

3. Camp style is different than any other style. Yes, Crocs and sandals with backs are super cute.

4. Grilled cheese is by far the best meal

5. All of your clothing has your name labeled on it—and yes, people at home always ask you why all of your clothes are labeled.

6. You know how to write a good letter and it's all about the stationery that you write it on.

7. Coming home from camp results in you coming home with all of your friends' clothing.

8. You have your camp songs which no one else understands.

10. You know exactly what an "NJB" is, and that is the exact reason you always straightened your hair on Shabbat, even when there was no air conditioning.

11. You made all of the tie-dye you own at camp.

12. Running to Canteen is important or else you won't get the snacks that you want.

13. You either had your friend pierce your ear or cut your hair at some point in the summer.

14. You live ten months for two.