Life At Home With Your Parents

Welcome To Summer Break, Where You Are Back To Being Under Your Parents' Thumb

Welcome home, now tell us everything.

52

Coming home for the summer is always very exciting for me. The first few weeks it feels like I'm somewhere brand-new instead of the same town I've lived in my entire life.

Although when I do go home my parents tend to want to spend all of their time with me. Which I understand because I've been gone for a while and they missed me. But where do we draw the life of them being happy to see me and them being over the top?

As someone who is 21, I'm a legal adult. When I'm at college my life is very much one of independence. When I'm at school I come and go as I please and tell very few people where I'm going. When I'm at college I don't have anyone I need to "report to".

This all changes when I come home and my parents are constantly asking me "where are you going?" "what are you doing?" "who are you hanging out with?" Simple answer "Elsewhere" "Stuff" "People"

I understand that they may just be concerned about me. But there is no reason to be. I'm not a kid that gets in trouble a lot or a person that goes out of their way to take unnecessary risks.

As parents, I understand that you have taken care of me for the past 21 years. But at some point, you have to allow your kids to make their own choices. Otherwise, your kids will stay dependent on you and will miss out on valuable lessons from their actions.

You should not always bail your kids out of situations they get themselves into. You should be there for guidance and as a listening ear. As your kids get older you have to learn to let them figure things out on their own.