It's OK To Be An Undeclared College Major

No, I Haven't Declared A Major Yet, But That Doesn't Mean I Don't Have A Reason To Be In College

I am discovering who I am, rather than what I am.

57
girl looking away
Annabelle Lewis

I am in my first year of college, and I am undeclared. To some people that would be a nerve-wracking sentence, but why? What is it about having an undetermined future that makes my bones shiver and my self-confidence crumple? How do I find a drive to go to class when I don't have a degree I'm working towards? I've had these questions running through my mind since the moment I stepped onto campus, and now I think I've found the answers.

Humans are creatures that thrive on purpose. If we have a task to perform, we won't complete it unless we have a definitive reason for putting our energy into that task. It's daunting to take classes and expend our energy into homework when we don't have a distinct purpose that a major provides. So what if we found a new purpose?

learn about myself

I propose that we stop shaming ourselves for not knowing what we want to be, and begin discovering who we want to be. I mean, if you really think about it, this is the best time to figure yourself out! You are away from home, you are away from family and past friends, and you are, in some sense, alone for the very first time. You have all the freedom in the world to try new things, listen to new music, talk to people in the elevator, discover a new hobby, etc.! Now is the most crucial time to take advantage of all of the opportunities that being a college student provides! Go to workout classes, go to the movies with your roommates, plan study dates, wake up early to get those incredible burritos in the morning! Yes, it may be scary to feel unsettled, but I've found that taking those moments of confusion and turning them into curiosity helps.

So if you are an undeclared student who is feeling lost and confused, you are lucky. I say this because you are a perfect candidate for self-discovery! Once you've fully dedicated your purpose to who you want to be, you will be drawn to what major best suits who you are.