Undecided Voters... I'm So Sorry.

Undecided Voters... I'm So Sorry.

Reporters called the first presidential debate of the year a "shitshow". A country divided needed hope for the upcoming election and got none.

36
Undecided Voters... I'm So Sorry.
Bloomberg

After a year of misfortunes and lost hope, many Americans across the country eagerly awaited the first Trump vs Biden debate in search of answers. COVID-19 outbreaks across the country, disastrous wildfires, police brutality, stock market crashes, and more have led to a country full of questions about the next president. Unfortunately, any viewers looking for solid plans and reassurance from either candidate left the hour and a half debate in dismay.

The two candidates agreed to speak on six pre-determined topics, outlined by the debate moderator. These topics were Biden and Trump's records, The Supreme Court, COVID-19, the economy, race, and election integrity. Each segment lasted fifteen minutes with each candidate being allotted two minutes to speak for the first question, and an open discussion for the rest of each topic.

The debate format, created for organized and productive discussion, hardly lasted as President Trump's agitated state led to fierce interruptions and a complete disregard for the rules. Looking to invalidate the validity of the opposite opponent, both parties wasted no time in attacking each other's character and personal (NOT public debate appropriate) affairs. At times, conversation was almost indiscernible as the moderator was forced to yell over the two candidates in order to move on to the next segment.

My biggest take away from the entire "debate" (if you can call it that) was one of Trump's lasting statements concerning the election outcome. Biden stated that he would agreeably accept any outcome of the election, even if his party ultimately lost. In stark contrast, Trump declared that his loss would not be taken lightly. His behavior illuminates his authoritarian style of leadership. A symbol of his tyrannical control.

For young and old alike looking to make an educated decision on their candidate of choice, the debate failed to give them an answer. What began with heightened hostility, ended just as abruptly. Future debates must emphasize enforced structure to deliver any positive outcome. Future voters rely on it.