You'll Want To Get Your Workout On For These 12 Reasons

There's more reasons to starting a workout regime than just your basic "to look good" and "to lose weight."

94
https://pixabay.com/en/adult-athlete-dark-energy-exercise-1850925/

Let's be real, it's very difficult to get the motivation to go to the gym and consistently. About 4 years ago I was right where you were at. I was forced to do cardio and weight lift for gym, but after that semester I pushed myself to continue going. It was definitely rough finding that motivation to go, but with perseverance and the right attitude, there comes a point where you will fall in love with it and it becomes a passion. Although over the past 4 years I haven't changed much physically from the gym people ask "why go to the gym then?" Well I can tell you a bunch of reasons why I have a workout regime of my own.

1. To eat whatever I want.

O.K. so I do try to eat healthy as much as possible because we all should. It makes you feel a lot more energized and great, but by working out I don't have to worry if I eat 3 ice creams in a day. Plus, when you workout and then indulge a little you don't feel as guilty eating that treat. I mean more muscle means more food!

2. To release stress.

First starting out this will be difficult to see, but the gym can release so much stress. It sometimes feels hard to schedule my days for the gym during the school year, but once I'm actually there I just feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulder. Just by having 3 hours set aside a week to go release stress at the gym is much more of a positive impact than you think.

3. To feel comfortable in my body.

Everyone is different and some will always feel the need to compare their bodies to others, but the chances of you doing so after working out for awhile lessen. Back in high school I always compared my body to others, but since spending time at the gym I've learned to focus on just myself, and I feel so much more confident in my body. Even on my rest days I think "damn, I'm doing good."

4. To push myself.

I've always pushed myself mentally, and physically in high school. I played softball nearly every day, but I knew that was going to change when I went to college. I didn't want to become lazy, and I didn't really want to play and other rec sports, that's when I realized weight lifting and running is where I can continue to better myself. Softball gave me that opportunity to continually push myself, and now weight lifting and running has done the same. If I do a 5k I don't try to beat others, but rather I try to get a better time than I did the race before.

5. To have that wedding-ready body.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be that person who goes ham at the gym right before their wedding and then is done once the honeymoon is over. I don't want the added stress of losing weight or toning my body for my wedding. When I started weight lifting I told myself that I want to work hard every day so I don't ever have to "quickly" tone up. By having a regime you don't have to worry about not looking good in that wedding dress or any clothes for that matter.

6. To boost my mental health.

I've never been diagnosed with anxiety, but some days I really feel like I have it bad. When I feel like it's getting pretty bad I just lace up my sneakers and hit the gym. It helps me to get into a better mindset and to take my mind off of the thousands of scenarios that run through my head. By working out it helps me so much better than simply taking medication. Fellow gym members that have depression or anxiety say they gym is an immense outlet to feeling better mentally.

7. To slow down the aging process.

O.K. yeah I'm only 21, but by getting in this regime early on it helps me learn to be healthy from the start. This will make it easier to stay healthy as I age and it will truly keep me looking young.

8. To lose weight after pregnancy.

Again, I know I won't be having kids for quite some years still, but when I am pregnant I will already be in the habit of working out so I will continue it through my pregnancy. Yeah I won't lift weights as heavy as I do now, but by staying in the regime of walking or lifting light weights it will then make it easier to stay in my workout habits after pregnancy and easily lose weight. Also, getting in a regime now makes for an easier pregnancy, delivery, and faster recovery.

9. To grow within the community.

Gyms are a great way to "get involved" with the community. This is a community that is so welcoming, open, and non-judgmental. You'll notice a lot of people at a gym know each other, and you can be one of them. If you go up to anyone and strike a conversation they'll be open (most of the time). This is how you can get to know others in the community and grow your circle of friends/acquaintances even.

10. To decrease the risk of injury.

Personally, I've never broken any bone or gotten injured. I played sports all through high school and continue to run in college. By starting that workout regime, especially from a young age, my body has become stronger and healthier. This decreases my risk of getting injured as I age. Let's be real, when I'm an old lady I don't want to have a serious fall and injure myself.

11. To increase energy.

Hey, if your a night-person then you do you. Going to the gym at night is better then nothing so go you! On the other hand, I'm an early morning person. By getting my workout done first thing each day I wake up better and become more energized for the day. Plus my workouts are best in the morning because I'm not tired like I am at the end of the day. But nonetheless, working out provide you will a boost of energy.

12. To complete daily tasks more easily.

From carrying a lot of grocery bags to your car to having to push a stroller, life's daily tasks will seem a lot easier when you workout and get stronger. You don't have to be competing in a body building contest or a half marathon to workout. Workout for you and to better your life as a whole.

Credit: Some reasons to workout were provided from members of Women Who Lift