10 Things We've All Seen Passing Through The Pit At UNC

10 Things We've All Seen In The Pit When We Were Just Trying To Mind Our Business And Get To Class

Run.

495
Alexis Byrd

Imagine: you have class in five minutes, you've just emerged from the Student Stores, and the Pit lies before you, vast and impassable. People, tables, tents...everywhere.

Here are a few specific obstacles you may encounter.

1. A Pit Preacher

Not the Pit Preacher, but still notable. Whoever it happens to be at the time, he's loud.

2. Gary

What is the Pit without the Pit Preacher? Lost.

3. A Capella Groups

Shout out to the Achordants for being hilarious—one time when they were selling tickets, they yelled, "We're UNC's number one a capella group...alphabetically!" I lost it.

4. A Bake Sale

Usually for a sorority or some kind of honors society. I hope they have enough funding.

5. Not A Drainage System

Oh, is the Pit flooded again? It must have been sprinkling again this morning. Should've brought my diving equipment.

6. CUAB

I have to include CUAB here because it is an omnipresent entity. Somehow, CUAB is everywhere.

7. The Comp Sci Table

Those kids are the Insomnia Cookies plug. I'm not mad at it.

8. The Pit-Sitters

You just need to cut through the Pit so you can be on your way to Greenlaw or Chapman or something, but fellow students are determined to form an impenetrable wall of sitting bodies all the way around it. That's fine, I guess.

9. A Line

Inevitably there'll be some table giving out free snacks or something, and a million people are willing to wait an hour for, like, Pelicans.

10. Some Student Organization

It's a different one every day, and they're always trying to bribe you to join. Example:

"Here, have a free [cookie/pen/sandwich/pin/sticker], you just have to sign your soul over to our group until you graduate. :)"

*gasp* what if the comp sci kids are just after our souls?

I've been giving it some thought, and I think the best avoidance strategy when some random Pit person approaches you is to yell, "Hold on one second!" in your best South Road crossing guard voice.

Happy trails!