To The Unappreciated High School Teachers

I now know how much you have contributed to my success.

34
Rachel Pardue

To the high school teacher I didn't appreciate,

Why did I ever think that I could learn on my own? You have been my saving grace in these new college classes, and now I will admit my failures and acknowledge that you are the reason for my success. From English and fine arts, to chemistry, calculus, and physics, I have been blessed with your tricks and sayings to save me and my GPA. I would like to genuinely thank you for the care and effort that you put into your job every day. It may go overlooked, but you are heroes in the long run.

You were one of my first truly amazing teachers. I had always heard stories about the good teacher to have in high school, and the teachers that would make you have no life because of the constant homework and tests. You were the perfect in between. You challenged me to be the best I could, and you inspired me to pursue my current degree and career path. When everyone else in the class hated the tests and projects, you drove me to exceed the requirements and learn beyond what was necessary to pass the class.

Your class material was always challenging and time consuming, but you made it fun and interesting to learn. You formed and fueled my desire for knowledge. My success in my post-high school endeavors is undoubtedly attributed to you. The long nights of papers and projects that I believed were ruining my life are tiny blips on the scale of work that now looms over my head growing with each passing second. Thank you for pushing me further than I believed possible.

You're my favorite teacher in your own way. Each teacher in my life has been my favorite for some reason. I have my favorite teacher that doesn't give homework, my favorite teacher that makes me work hard to pass, my favorite teacher that doesn't put up with anyone's bull, my favorite teacher to hate, and my favorite teacher that taught my favorite subject. Each of these favorites is unique, and I would not be where I am today without each of you in my life.

Now, as my final grades are starting to appear, I know that I did not learn the material from my actual professors. In all honesty, I don't know if I learn anything from my professors (except how not to send an extremely confusing email). The material may have been partially new, but that can be compensated for by the values and techniques that my under-appreciated high school teachers taught me.

For all of these things and many more, I am unutterably thankful.