UMD "Anytime Dining" causing all day hunger

The University of Maryland dining: failing to "offer a wide range of food choices to meet every taste, craving, and dietary need"

121

If you would have asked me last year if I thought the University of Maryland, College Park's dining could get worse, I would have laughed in your face. How could you possibly get worse than bugs crawling in the lettuce and leather boot-tasting hamburgers? It was physically impossible, but somehow, someway Maryland had a "fearless idea" and found a way to make something so unappetizing even worse.

Maryland's "Anytime Dining" is just a scheme for the University of Maryland to take more of your (or your parents) hard-earned money. First in efforts to accommodate the new dining plan, thousands of dollars had to be put towards new (pointless) renovations. One of the new additions to all the diners are hand scanners to replace swiping your UMD ID card. It's mind boggling how Maryland can afford hand scanners but can't afford decent food. Additionally, Maryland claims they will not keep our handprints on file but I am not exactly sure if I 100% believe that. Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I am not really over-the-moon excited that the University of Maryland even has the possibility of having my prints on file.

With the new "Anytime Dining" the prices have risen and the quality has dropped. In Fall 2015, the price of the basic dining plan was $2,206.50, which automatically included TerpBucks, points you were allowed to use at the convenience stores across campus (aka you could purchase regular, edible snacks to fulfill your never-ending hunger). This semester the price has risen to $2,287 with no TerpBucks, now called Dining Dollars, so if you want to buy anything at the convenience stores you have to either upgrade your plan, at an additional cost or use actual money -- and lets just say their prices are outrageous and I will be taking my business to Route 1. According to the university, if students do not have a dining plan that's okay, you can spend (waste) $7.95 for breakfast, $12.95 on lunch, $15.95 for dinner. I'm not really sure who calculated these prices but I know sure as hell I do not eat almost 16 dollars worth of food for dinner, honestly I probably don't eat 16 dollars worth of that disgusting food in an entire day.

The University of Maryland claims that the new dining continues to "offer a wide range of food choices to meet every taste, craving, and dietary need–and to help you stay healthy," but in my personal opinion it's extremely hard to stay healthy when you practically only supply canned fruit instead of fresh fruit. Besides for the lack of healthy options in the diner, they have also eliminated classics like chicken fingers or quesadillas that ensured that picky eaters like me didn't starve. One of the worst aspects Maryland dining has implemented is the elimination of the build-your-own wraps. Seriously Maryland? That was the only station that was consistently busy last semester.

Finally, the University of Maryland has eliminated the option of take-out food. So to the people who have a jammed packed class schedule or extreme social anxiety, too bad for you! You now have to find time to eat or starve and just get over your fear of eating alone or starve.

Maryland claims that these changes are benefiting students and creating a more unified atmosphere. Last year dining services sent out a survey which led them to decide to drastically change UMD dining but here's the catch only 26% of those emailed bothered to take the survey. So tell me Maryland even if all 26% of those who responded said they would rather have all you can eat dining, why didn't you bother to find out what the other 74% of students wanted? Maryland claims that many students struggled with food insecurity or not knowing whether they would eat or not because of the point system. In my personal opinion Maryland should have emailed them back and said "welcome to the real world, you're in college now, learn how to budget your points" but no we had to change the entire system to accommodate those who are incompetent.

So thank you Maryland, I will now go to bed hungry each night because of your senseless changes to the dining services.