Ultimate User's Guide To Helwell

Ultimate User's Guide To Helwell

A declassified gym survival guide.

44
Ultimate User's Guide To Helwell

Working out (or pretending to) is awesome. The Lerner Health and Wellness Center is a magical place where GW students can work off some stress and work up a sweat. It’s free for students and has everything from a weight room, to squash courts to a lap pool.

But there are a few things that people fail to realize when they come to use the facility, so here are some do's and don'ts to have the smoothest possible experience when going to Helwell.

The Basics

DO: Have your GWorld out and ready for the person scanning them at the front desk

Nothing is worse than being in line to get into the gym and waiting for the person in front of you to wrestle with their wallet. Have your card out and ready, it makes the process so much easier. (If you know your card doesn’t scan, it doesn’t hurt to let the person know they should just swipe it.)

For those of you that have the plastic case you have to crack open to get your gworld, you’re the worst. I don’t want to watch you shuffle through your backpack to find your card while there are people behind you just trying to get in. And if you forgot your GWorld, don’t argue with the person, you’re not getting in!

P.S. If you’re wearing workout clothes and say “I’m just getting a smoothie!” I will wait 10 minutes before calling my manager to escort you out. Don’t lie to someone who’s getting paid minimum wage, there’s no sympathy there.

DO: Get a locker.

You’re just making everyone’s lives so much more difficult by bringing your personal belongings into the fitness center, stop being annoying and comply with the rules. I don’t need to trip over your training duffel on my way to the treadmill.

Lockers are free to rent at helwell and you should probably go down to the locker room and apply deodorant anyways. There is no space for your Canada Goose jacket on the bikes, put it in a locker.

DO: Ask questions

Want to know about renting a locker year-round? Curious about group fitness classes? Wondering if there’s actually massages? Just ask someone on staff, they’re students just like you and could probably use the human interaction after being on their feet people-watching for several hours.

The managers would rather help you than let you walk around aimlessly or make a mistake so just ask!

DO: Follow water fountain etiquette.

Please for the love of everything pure and good, please never put your mouth on the water fountain. You go to GW, I’m sure you can afford to get a water bottle. We have these great filling stations available for patrons and the water is cold and safe to drink, take advantage of it. And do you really need to fill your gallon? Really?

DON'T: Be judgmental or hurtful to other people.

Everyone goes to the gym for their own reasons, they don't have to be running 5 minute miles or benching 250 lbs to be working to the best of their ability.

People function at their own pace and it's not right to say hurtful or judgmental things to someone who is just trying to become the best version of themselves. The gym should be a safe space where people can work out at their level, so be a good member of the fit community and respect that.

Fitness Center

DON'T: Sit on the machine or the blue mats if you're not working out.

I know it’s a crazy concept, but when people usually go to the gym, they go to workout. So if you finish your set, move! Everyone wants to get their ab workout in, so if you just sit on the mat talking to your friend or texting, it’s preventing others using that space. Just get up and get out of the way!

DO: Wipe down your machine and your mat.

We all sweat. You can deny it all you want but if you’re exerting energy, you’re also sweating. If you use a machine, get a paper towel and the disinfectant spray and wipe it down. No one wants to get sick or get a rash so be conscientious of each other. We all want the same thing, to be healthy and look good. So take care of the equipment.

P.S. This goes for the mats too, you’re literally putting your sweat directly on it, and they’re going on the floor. So wipe them down!

DON'T: Hog all the equipment.

If you’re going to do sets of 100 during peak hours, keep in mind that gym is used by several thousand people every day. There’s only one of some machines so be open to taking breaks and making smaller sets to give others a turn to use the machines. You’re not paying for an exclusive membership so don’t get mad if someone gets on a machine as you were walking over to it.

Weight Room

DON'T: Bang the weights on the ground.

Oh that weight was too heavy for you? You did one too many reps? That’s too bad because if you throw the weights on the ground you’re not doing anyone any favors, just creating more unnecessary noise and maybe a broken toe. If you break or damage the weight, we don’t have it anymore. Resources are already scarce, be responsible with the weights and please re-rack them properly when you're done with them.

DON'T: Be the macho man.

Spot your friends, and don’t try to deadlift your new personal record just because the pretty girl from chemistry is on the treadmill closest to the window. I know you want to impress your friends and talk a big game but a torn ligament or head injury is the last thing the gym staff need to deal with. Be smart, be safe and don’t make a fool of yourself.

Upper Levels

DON'T: Get mad if all the squash or racquetball courts are taken

when you didn't make a reservation.

You can now go online or call to make the reservation, it’s really easy. I don’t want to fight with you or hear you complain about the facility so just make everyone’s life easier and check for availability before coming to the gym.

DON'T: Fight.

If you have to be escorted out of Helwell because of your aggressive behavior, there is something wrong with you. That intramural basketball game or volleyball match was never that serious. The referees will call the manager and the police will be called. It gives everyone a headache and you’ll be hated by everyone in the gym for ruining the game. Good sportsmanship is cool okay?

Pool

DO: Split the lane.

It’s a three-lane lap pool, and odds are, there are going to be more than just three people swimming in the pool. Circle swim is a great compromise and the capacity is 12 so technically, the person you’re splitting with can’t say no even if they wanted to.

DO: Shower.

You’re supposed to wash off before getting in the pool, so wash off before getting in the pool. It keeps everything more sanitary and healthy. Chlorine is not a magical bacteria killer that will protect you from everyone else’s sweat. Wash off and protect yourself as well as other swimmers who just want to get through their sets.

DON'T: Use the pool area as your locker room.

Putting your flip-flops, towel and locker key on the side of the pool is super fine. But don't bring your whole closet into the pool area and then get upset when it gets wet. Your backpack does not belong on top of the kickboard bins and I won't watch your groceries while you kick around for 45 minutes. The locker room is 50 feet away and the lifeguards don't want to watch you change in front of them.

So just to wrap up, there's a lot of things you should and shouldn't do in Helwell. Some I think are very obvious, while others seem to be neglected all the time. We're all just trying to work out and get our lives together, why not make it something enjoyable? The staff and other patrons will thank you.