The Ultimate Finals Week Care Package: What Every Student Wants and Needs

Finals Week is rough, but the perfect care package can make a world of difference.

458

The two words every college student dreads with every fiber of their being: Finals Week. The one week during every semester when life gets real. No one sleeps, no one eats, and practically no one smiles. Everyone is stressed out after spending the entire week prior studying, and with fraying nerves and a mind that is one step away from a breakdown, it's hard to see how anyone can survive the finals themselves. In this time of chaos and catastrophe there is nothing college students would love more than a care package. To help those sending care packages (or to help people who are making their own care package), here is a list of items essential to ensuring your student comes home for break in one piece.

1. Gift Cards

If there is one thing college students can agree on, it's that they're always short the money to treat themselves. And Finals Week, of all weeks, is the time when they need to treat themselves. Be it a Starbucks gift card for all their caffeine needs or a Pizza Hut gift card so they can de-stress after all of their hard work, they will thank you for it.

2. Comfy Clothes

Because getting dressed to go to class is overrated. No one has time to think about what they're going to wear, let alone the brainpower. A nice pair of slippers they can wear outside, or a soft new sweatshirt will make any student feel loved and comfortable.

3. Air Freshener

Let's be honest; we don't have a lot of time to do much of anything during Finals Week. And sometimes, that can mean compromising on cleaning of any kind. Having something that smells good around would make your roommate and possibly the entire dorm very, very happy.

4. Caffeine of your Choice

All-nighters and hours of studying and test-taking means we don't sleep. You're going to need something to keep you going. If you're a coffee-drinker, then your Starbucks gift cards will come in handy here. If you're more of a soda person, then Mountain Dew will have the most caffeine for your indulgence. And of course, there is a plethora of energy drinks and caffeinated teas.

5. Gum or Mints

Mint flavoring is proven to help improve concentration and relaxation, which is ideal during finals. Chewing the gum will also give you something to release nervous energy instead of tapping you foot or clicking your pen, and your classmates will thank you for choosing something quieter.

6. Snacks that are Good for Your Body

Sure, we'll all binge eat as much unhealthy food as we can to relax and ease our feelings away, but what you really need during Finals Week is something packed with nutrients and protein. Beef jerky and protein granola bars are the perfect way to eat on the go, and you can bring them anywhere. Dried fruit is also a good choice, because the natural sugars will give you just the right amount of energy. For something with a little caffeine, chocolate-covered coffee beans are the perfect mix of sweet energy.

7. Distractions

Sometimes you can't do anything else but try to push the sense of impending doom aside. Bubble wrap, jump ropes, hacky sacks, frisbees- you name it. Anything that will give a mindless task is a total life saver.

8. Noise-cancelling Earbuds and Headphones

I go through earbuds and headphones like crazy; I either lose them or they break from constant use. Sending a new pair will help your student block out any distracting noise to they can study or relax before they take their final. Bonus: Send some classical music with them. The BPM of Mozart helps relax and focus the mind.

9. Toiletries

As a reminder to shower and take care of their bodies, sending toiletries is always a good choice. Stores like Bath and Body Works and Lush both have travel-sized soaps and hair products for all genders that smell great and add a little zest and excitement to a college student's life. Personally, I always feel better when I've used a new soap or face product; it makes me feel like I can take on any challenge.

10. A Reward for Afterwards

Once finals have been completed, nearly everyone is exhausted, brain-dead, and a little disoriented. With the semester totally finished, it can be hard for some people to get back into a healthy mindset and lifestyle. Remembering that life does in fact go on after Finals Week can be rough. Sending something for your student to look forward to will ease this process. Movie tickets for when they come home, more gift cards to celebrate with their friends the night after, a nice note about how you're proud of them, or anything else they would enjoy to unwind works wonders. That way they're back to their normal selves when they return home.