UIUC activities

13 Things UIUC Students Should Take Advantage Of Before Graduation

You might as well live it up in CU before real life begins.

104

As a townie student at UIUC, I find myself getting bored on campus. Champaign-Urbana is home to me, and a boring home at that. I feel like there's never anything to do. However, after a year of living on campus, I've found that there are plenty of things to keep the day-to-day interesting around here.

1. Dining Halls

I'm beyond excited to have my own apartment next year, but there's nothing quite like having a full meal prepared for you whenever you want. Plus, the specialty restaurants offered weekly keep things from getting too bland.

2. McKinley

You already pay for McKinley, so you might as well take advantage of it. Every medical need you have can be taken care of in this one building for free! Even if you don't need to see a doctor, make sure to pick up your free medication packs from the front desk.

3. ARC and CRCE

How often do you have access to two state-of-the-art fitness centers? The answer is almost never. That means no more excuses about skipping your workout. Sorry.

4. Counseling Center

Counseling services are also included in the numerous fees students are required to pay each semester. The best part about this program is that you have to schedule your first appointment the day of. This means students can get help when they need it most.

5. Libraries

Our great university is home to the third largest university library system in the nation after Harvard and Yale. It's worth just taking a look around and gawking at the sheer number of books Illinois students have access to. Make sure to make a visit to the Rare Book and Manuscript room!

6. KAMS

If you don't get your picture taken in front of the Alma mural, can you really call yourself an Illini?

7. Quad Day

Two words: free stuff. But really, if you're looking to join an RSO (like Odyssey at UIUC), make your way down to the Quad on the last Sunday before classes start to get involved!

8. B1G 10 Sports

While very few of our teams consistently win, the opportunity to attend D1, high-stakes sporting events for free or cheap is something no one should pass up.

9. Illinites and other events hosted by the Illini Union Board

The Illini Union Board puts on events weekly that appeal to a wide variety of students. Some of the most popular events are called Illinites and provide a free, exciting alternative to going to bars on one Friday night each month. Don't pass up these opportunities!

10. Arboretum

The Arboretum is a research facility owned and run by the College of ACES, but all students on campus enjoy visiting the area for a taste of nature that doesn't include our campus squirrels nor the Morrow Plots. The Japan House is a must-see before graduation.

11. Ice Rink

This indoor activity is not one to be missed when the weather isn't cooperating. Just a few blocks from the Main Quad, the ice rink makes a great date spot or girls night out!

12. Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

With the generous student discount prices on tickets, there isn't a really good reason to not make your way over to Krannert at some point in your four years here. The performances are never the same, so there's bound to be something that catches your interest. Plus, it's just a really neat building to explore.

13. Facebook Groups

If you recognize any of these iconic UIUC symbols, you belong in the UIUC Meme Group. You may also enjoy Overheard. College cannot be experienced to its fullest without these groups.

While some of these things are basic necessities, take the time to explore them when you're bored. College is only fun when you take advantage of the things that at least feel free.