When it hits that you are a UGA Student

When it hits that you are a UGA Student

The "On Top of the World" Moment

11
When it hits that you are a UGA Student

That feeling, that once in a life time moment ever UGA student talks about when they feel they did it. To become a student at UGA, we all worked so hard throughout high school. Late nights studying, extra-curriculars, sacrifices... the list goes on and on. However, the moment we got our acceptance; it all became worth it.

As a freshman at UGA in the middle of a pandemic, it has been hard to have that moment. Much of my life here does not have a routine despite my one zoom class and one in person class. The rest of my classes are asynchronous giving me much freedom to do them at different times/locations. Many students have that moment when they see their first UGA game. I have heard countless stories of the moment the stadium turns red. Everyone holds their breath, captivated by the moment and beauty of the stadium. However, how do you get that feeling when you will only be attending one football game. Plus that football game is not until November 21st, the Saturday before we all go home for Thanksgiving Break.

I am going start off by saying that if you have not experienced "your moment" yet then just know that you will. Plus, the memories and friends you are making now are moments that will add up into being a part of your college experience. I know, personally, I would not trade being at UGA for the world. Everything happens for a reason, and the reason I am at UGA at this time will shape me into the person I will become when I graduate and enter the job world in four years.

I have had many moments and memories created here with countless friends that have helped give me a passion and love for this school. I want to give a shout-out to Cassie, Natalie, Chelsea, Mary-Blake, Harley, and Amanda for being the sweetest of friends and making Athens my home.

I have to say my first "moment" of feeling like a UGA student happened within the first couple weeks of classes. One of my best friends from high school and I spontaneously decided to grab coffee at like 10pm and walk over to the stadium. Just sitting on the group inside while the lights glistened made it feel so surreal. It is an indescribable feeling to know that all the work you did. All the tears shed. All of it was worth it.

Since then, I have had many other moments. Late nights at Texas Roadhouse, getting Insomnia cookies, randomly driving to Bruster's, IM deck hang-outs, and so much more that have lead me into having such a deeper love for this school.

I hope all of the students who are experiencing their first-year at UGA are having or building their "moments." These memories we create and the friends we meet will last us a lifetime.

Go Dawgs!!