Thank You, Mom

Thank You, Mom

I am a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.

6
Thank You, Mom
Sophia Cusumano

Merriam-Webster defines "mother" as a female parent, but I define "mother" as my best friend, my support system, and someone who provides me with unconditional love.

If you are lucky, you're with your mom for about the first 18 years of your life, until one day you pack up and head out for college or wherever else your life may take you. Since you've seen her every day for 18 years, you don't realize or appreciate the sacrifices that she makes in order to keep you happy. For me, my mom has always done my laundry, made my meals, and been someone I can go to for advice in any and every situation. Being away from that has been difficult and eye-opening; and even though I've always known that my mom was a pivotal person in my life, it didn't truly hit me until my freshman year of college.

During winter break of my freshman year of college, I had surgery on my foot to remove a part of the bone that had broken off. After going into surgery, the doctors realized that the surgery was going to be a bit worse than they had expected. Unfortunately this made my recovery a little longer and a little bit more difficult. But, from the second I was released from the recovery room, to the second I left to return to school, my mom was by my side. She was at my beck and call for more than FOUR WEEKS, and did everything to make sure that I wasn't hurting and was making the most progress possible. Can you imagine being someone's servant all day every day for four weeks? Frankly, I have no idea how in the hell she didn't kill me.

There were some times that I thought my mom was going to give up and throw the towel in, but she never did. When the going got tough, she stayed around. There were times when I was ready to surrender and let myself fall (literally). But when these times showed themselves, my mom was always there to catch me and put the pieces back together. That is one quality moms have that is so valuable. They don't give up on you even when they have every reason to.

Moms are a blessing to the world that we often take for granted. They raise you, nurture you, and support you. My mom taught me how to be an independent woman who doesn't give up even when everything seems to be falling apart. I am a strong woman because a strong woman raised me, and for that I am forever thankful.

So, mom, thank you. Some of my fondest memories are with you. You never fail to make me laugh to the point of tears and you never fail to be a shoulder for the tears that aren't so good. Thank you for loving me unconditionally, teaching me to be individualistic, and for never giving up on me. Thank you for being my servant my entire winter break. Thank you for being the "cool mom." Thank you for being my best friend. I will forever be in debt.