Two Weeks On The West Coast

Two Weeks On The West Coast

Reasons I fell in love with California.

11
Two Weeks On The West Coast
Alex Li

My summer always consists of one main big thing: traveling. I enjoy hopping on a plane and land on the foreign soil, a place that hasn't been marked off from my travel destinations checklist. Right before last semester ended, me and my friends made a spontaneous plan to take over the west coast and experience the other city life in California. I have always longed to travel to Los Angeles just for the hype of it but of course, California doesn't disappoint. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being a New York City girl that lives in Brooklyn. My food cravings can always be easily satisfied somewhere in Flushing Queens or St. Marks area in Manhattan. But it is never too late to get a taste of the west coast, a place that is not actually accessible by subway.

1. The weather

I love the tall palm trees. I didn't really trust the number degrees on my weather channel app. It never felt like 90s. Driving up and down the hills, pulling down the car window and enjoy the luxurious view of Beverly Hills is my everyday pleasure. My Airbnb place is located 30 minutes away from UCLA, 15 minutes drive from Bel Air. I enjoy the warm sunshine with the cool breeze blowing in my face. The tall palm never block the clear blue sky. The weather tends to be quite chilly at night and that makes my night walk to Hollywood Avenue more enjoyable.

2. The neighborhood

During the two weeks time, I spent a week in North California. I stayed at a friend's place in Davis, a small college town right by UC Davis. Nights at Downtown Davis never die. From bars to bars, restaurants open till 3 a.m. in the morning, that is a typical night life that Stony Brook students probably cannot experience. I never got a chance to stay in San Francisco for a night, the up and downhills are completely different from the environment back in NYC. The nice apartments located on both sides of the street are places that allow you to relax a little and forget how fast paced NYC is.

3. The beach

Beaches at San Diego aren't overrated. I spent a day at Corona Beach, even though it isn't a bright sunny day, I still fully embraced the ocean filled with less salty and much clear water with the big waves hitting me one after one and honestly, I can walk on the soft and smooth sand with my bare foot. Santa Monica Pier is my second favorite place that located right next to the Ocean. Taking off your flip flops and walking along the coastline, watching the sunset is another thing off my checklist.

4. The experience

My first time going on a friend vacation is pretty memorable. Going on a five hour road trip from LA all the way to San Francisco is also my first time experience. Never have I been sitting in a car for long travels. Back in the city, I take the bus and subway almost everyday but Californians have a rather chill lifestyle which I give props to. No one seems to be in rush to work, the most I see people on streets are when they walk their dogs or go on a jog. I guess it is the atmosphere that makes me enjoy this vacation so much more. Not just because I actually got the hype of In-and-out burgers but it is more like the vibe that people share. The diversity, how the Santa Monica pier is filled with crowds on a weekday. Not much worries seem to be on their minds but to enjoy times with family and friends.

After this trip, I wonder if I should slow down the pace of my life awhile. I am 20 and still way to go, maybe it is time to stop once in awhile and explore myself in a place that helps me to search for the life I have always wanted to live.