Two Common Sayings You're Probably Taking Out of Context

The pen is mightier than the sword...right?

289
Google Image Search: Book Stock Photo

Often times, the use of a well-known quote that anyone can relate to is just what any good paper needs. Even discussions about topics ranging from politics to what you ate for dinner yesterday can use a snazzy one-liner in order to engage your listener and spice things up. We've all heard how amazing those final words sound before the mic drops. Conversely, some might know just how bad it sounds when someone completely blotches what they're saying because of some borrowed words that they didn't completely understand. In an effort to avoid sounding like a complete idiot, its pretty important to do some research on the things you chose to say that aren't from us. Here are two common sayings within the English language that are rarely ever done enough justice in regards to what context their said in.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

This is a quote that is regarded as the end-all to any discussion regarding whether or not violent or civil action should be taken given a pressing issue within society. It makes sense. In a democratic country like The United States, we don't all grab our torch and pitch-forks whenever the government does something or allows for something to happen that we deem unjust. What usually happens is that the people gather, protest, demonstrate and communicate through pen and paper what needs to be done in order to obtain justice. While these words alone hold some peace valuing virtue, it leaves out a large part of what the author had intended for this to mean. More specifically, we're missing about half a sentence coming before this statement. Watch how the meaning radically shifts when we take a look at the whole statement.

"Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword." - Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

Taking a look at the full quote definitely prompts some deeper thinking and more importantly, some reflection. It would be nice to think that some ink on paper would deliver in some way, some retribution to those who deserve it.War and violence should be the absolute last resort, right? Comfort resides within the U.S citizen who believes that their actions on paper are handled by people who are just. America has, for the last couple of centuries, been the stage for civil unrest. Oppressed groups are to believe that legislation passed by congresspersons - essentially mere pieces of writing - is what will bring them the quality of life they deserve. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but are we truly beneath the rule of men entirely great?

"If you love something, let it go."

This might be a nice little piece of rhetoric to drop on a friend who's going through a rough break-up. Granted it can be seen as a rather stale platitude, it certainly helps to at least say something while your buddy is bawling over the loss of their latest significant other. That is, unless they know how the whole saying goes.

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it was and always will be yours. If it doesn't, it was never yours in the first place." - Anonymous

Just when you thought break ups couldn't sting any more, right? There are tow sides to this coin, however. One side implies that the person you were mutually enamored with was never really with you to begin with. The other serves to strengthen your view on the bond you shared, under the condition that your loved one returned, of course.

Kudos to the people who use these quotes to their fullest potential. These are just two examples. Hopefully it inspires you to take further research ventures on the quotes and sayings you wish to use for whatever purpose you might have.