Twitter's 2020 NSFW Guidelines Alienate Adult Performers

Dear Twitter, Your 2020 NSFW Guidelines Alienate Adult Performers And Shame Us For Our Fetishes

Sorry, but prudishness has no place in our country's future.

3573

When it comes to NSFW (not safe for work) content creators, social media has been a rough space to inhabit.

Facebook and Instagram have been militant in their attempts to keep both platforms family-friendly.

Tumblr, the one place porn seemed to be completely tolerated even banned all explicit content.

For many in adult entertainment, Twitter seemed to be the last social network they could thrive in.

Unfortunately, Twitter will also be joining the list of social networks that are enforcing stricter guidelines for NSFW content.

Starting in 2020, the site will ban any "violent sexual conduct" and "gratuitous gore content" in one's header or profile image. Accounts that wish to tweet this sort of content must mark their tweets as sensitive.

Twitter claims the new policy applies to content "whether real or simulated." In addition to this, Twitter says they will ban any profiles that are "dedicated to posting this type of content."

In other words, certain tweets will be allowed as long as it's not the theme of your account. This means that porn stars and the studios they work for will be in trouble.

One of the many things that have come out of people's reactions to Twitter's ban is the idea of fetish shaming.

There's a sense that these new policies, whether intentional or not, are shaming those with particular fetishes or fantasies. I have to agree with this mindset. Did the big wigs at the Twitter offices get together and vent their disgust at those with darker sexual fantasies? Probably not. However, it doesn't help when these fantasies are already looked down upon by society as a whole.

These fantasies are forced into the closet by the general mainstream population. This explains why people seek out therapy or have trouble telling their spouses about what they really want to do between the sheets. There are several different reasons why someone fantasizes about the things they do. It might have its roots in childhood experiences, a traumatic event, family relationships, or one's own self-image.

There is a real psychology to sexual fantasies. Judgment is the last thing people should receive as a result of them.

People also need to understand that just because a person fantasizes about something, it doesn't mean they want to do it in real life. Therefore, reading erotic fiction or watching pornography might be the only outlet they have in regards to their fantasy. So I don't think it's right for Twitter to take that away from them.

Obviously, there are a number of other areas online where people can access adult entertainment. However, I think it's important for porn stars and NSFW artists to have a home on social media sites like Twitter. If porn is constantly forced to stay on their own separate media sharing sites, social progress is stifled.

Pornography has always been viewed as a "dirty little secret" you don't want anybody to find out about.

Porn performers have always been treated like social outcasts. It's kind of ironic how many times those in "mainstream" society complain about porn stars being treated like sex objects. The kind of respect these people call for is one they don't give out themselves.

If you do porn, there is still a big chance you won't be able to get work outside of the adult industry.

So many young adults are doing porn to put themselves through school, they have aspirations bigger than adult entertainment. However, the same society that calls for respect won't hire them because of their porn past.

People say porn stars need to be seen as more than just a piece of ass. Yet, when these models try to make a life for themselves outside of adult films, all the world can think of is their porn. This is hypocrisy at its finest.

Twitter is a big social networking platform, if not the biggest.

Almost every celebrity has a verified account on Twitter. Family and friends interact on Twitter. People follow the news and get updates on Twitter. If porn stars are kicked off Twitter, it will only further this image of them as social outcasts.

Some might say that porn shouldn't have a place on Twitter, because kids might stumble across it.

I don't think children should be on Twitter. I also don't think parents should expect Twitter to babysit their kids. Parents expect popular music artists to do the same thing and it's wrong.

If you have a child, it's your responsibility to monitor what they do, and nobody else's.

I don't think a child should have a phone. I don't think a child needs a phone. I don't think a child should be on a computer with internet access if there's no parental block.

In this day and age, it's becoming easier for parents to be on top of what their child does online.

I think the only people who should be on social media are adults. Children aren't allowed to get tattoos, because they don't have the capacity to make such a permanent life decision. The same goes for social media. Once you post something, it's out there for good. Even if you delete the post, there are screenshots. They may very well regret their social media presence the way they would regret a bad tattoo.

Don't get me wrong, Twitter is free to run their site however they please. I would never want to take that away from them. However, I think they're making the wrong decision. The art of depicting one's sexual fantasies should be tolerated on a platform meant for adults. Given how influential social media is in our culture, adult performers should be welcomed and respected.

Prudishness has no place in our future.

We should go into the new year with the idea of moving forward, and this move will only set us back.