#Twinning: How Mark And Scott Kelly Are Bringing Us Closer To Mars

How bad is a year in space for the human body?

19
NASA

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration has done some pretty weird things in its 57 year reign as one of the world's leading space and science agencies. In addition to their usual, amazing work of exploring the solar system, studying the Earth, gazing out into the universe, or learning all about our Sun, NASA has performed a lot of unusual research. Some studies of note including giving spiders various drugs, using cadavers in landing tests and sending fish to space. However, NASA is currently in the middle of one of the strangest and most pioneering studies so far: the Twins Study.

On Feb. 21, 1964, Mark and Scott Kelly were born in Orange, New Jersey. The two brothers would grow up to have very similar lives: Both became Naval Aviators after graduating from college, both were selected by NASA for the sixteenth astronaut class and they have even both occupied the International Space Station at the same time--in Feb. 2011, Scott (who had been occupying the Station since Oct. 2010) opened the door between the Space Shuttle and the Station and reunited with Mark, who was commanding the last Space Shuttle mission. While Mark retired from NASA and the Navy later that year, his brother stayed an active astronaut and NASA suddenly realized the golden opportunity in front of them.

How can you tell these two apart? Look for Mark's signature mustache. (Source: TIME)

With eyes set on Mars (perhaps a bit too much so, but that's a topic for a different article) NASA is keen on learning about how prolonged periods spent in space can affect the human body. From what we know so far, life in microgravity can cause everything from irreversible eye damage to compromised immune systems. Doing a journey to Mars can amplify the dangers of radiation and psychological difficulties, in addition to the typical loss of bone and muscle strength. If we are going to successfully land people on another planet, let alone start a colony there, we need to be prepared with countermeasures to these debilitating effects, but first we need to learn about every single one of them. That's a daunting task to undertake, especially since each individual responds to and experiences the consequences of the space environment differently. Luckily for NASA, though, it happened to have a convenient way of measuring changes independent of genetic makeup. Enter: The Twin Study.

The premise was simple: Scott Kelly and Russian Cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko would return to the International Space Station, but this time for a full year--nearly twice the typical amount of time spent in space. Both spacefarers would undergo a routine battery of tests to examine the effects of space on their bodies and Mark Kelly would also undergo such exams back on Earth. With support from Russia, as well as all involved astronauts, the pair launched from Star City, Russia on March 28, 2015.

Who could have guessed the Race For Space would eventually result in a tie? (Source: NASA HQ)

After passing the halfway point on Sept. 17, what has been found so far? Well, nothing yet-- the analysis cannot be done until the last samples are taken and Scott has safely returned to Earth and undergone his post-landing exam. We do have a pretty good idea of the types of knowledge that will be gained from these studies, however. The first and most ambitious studies will examine fluid shifts (the same fluid shifts that cause irreversible eye damage) and the use of experimental Russian Chibis devices that attempt to draw fluid from the head and down into the legs, to simulate fluid balance on Earth. These studies fall under the "visual impairment" section of the seven effects categories that will be examined, with functional, behavioral health, metabolic, physical performance, microbial, and human factors investigations also taking place. All of these areas are critical to our understanding and ability to endure the extraordinarily dangerous environment of space.

If we are to become a multi-planet-faring species within the next century, there is no time to waste in acquiring all possible knowledge to keep those first human pioneers healthy, happy, and safe on their journey. We can't rely on waiting until April 6, 2063-- our first steps towards the next frontier are happening now (all the more reason to encourage your elected officials to raise NASA's funding!) and thanks to Mark and Scott Kelly, those first steps just became far more powerful.