My Twin Is The Most Important Long-Distance Relationship In My Life
Siblings

To My Twin, You're The Most Important LDR In My Life, And Distance Has Nothing On Us

Any twins out there separated by college or life know how the long-distance relationship can turn your life upside down.

473
picture of a picture
Photo by Jordan Dobbs

Growing up as a twin, you learn a few things about the nature of your connection. First, in most cases, the two of you will be recognized as "The Twins" no matter the circumstance. Secondly, you will always be a package deal. Thirdly, the never-ending questions of "twin life" such as: Identical or fraternal? What's it like to be a twin? Do you fight a lot? Who's older? And the list goes on...

However, as you age, life as a twin may change. For my twin and I, we took separate paths in life. 18 years later, after walking hand-in-hand down the beaten path, the road diverged. College became the next hurdle in life. I decided to attend Baylor University and she went on to Texas Tech University. Once living a few feet away from the other's room, now 350 miles and 5 ½ hours apart.

Our dynamic duo status was erased away by college. However, our best friend status will always remain. Distance from the person you shared a womb with is not easy. We now must learn what it's like to be completely on our own, no twin to watch out for you. But being separated by college, your relationship grows closer and stronger — more so than when little girls walked into kindergarten glued to each other. You learn to keep in touch, such as sending memes through Facebook (seriously, it's the best). Calls and Facetiming are a must, especially if it's been two weeks since the two of you spoke instead of texting. The very fact that now you have to catch up on life seems surreal. Before, you knew everything about each other's lives because it was YOUR life. Those moments make it feel as if you are back home sitting on the couch chatting over a box of Oreos.

The unbreakable bond of twins cannot be torn by any length of distance. Your other half will always remain a constant in life even when times get tough. The two of you will forever be your biggest supporter of each other's dreams and passions. A forever sister and best friend. No matter the distance or time not shared, once you reunite you jump right back into your twin routine of life.

Side note:

To my twin, Brianna, I love you and miss you every day. I am so proud of all you are accomplishing in your life as an equestrian and dedicated student. To me, you are the most inspirational person in my life. See you soon B!