'Twas The Night Of The Nova National Championship

’Twas the night of the Championship game, when all through the nation not a soul was quiet, no fan in creation.

The Villanova flags were hung by the windows with care, in hopes that the title soon would be theirs.

The students were nestled all snug in their beds; while visions of 3 pointers danced in their heads.

Father Peter in his blue robe, and Arch in his Nova cap, had just settled down for a quick pre-game nap.

When out in the quad there arose such a clatter, the students sprang from their beds to see what was the matter.

Away to the window they flew like a flash, tore open the blinds and grabbed some loose cash.

The sun was setting on the cold Oreo, as fans packed Connelly with beverages in toe.

When what to our wondering eyes did appear, but a lineup of players and all of their peers.

With a wonderfully dressed man so dapper in white, we knew in a moment it must be Jay Wright.

More talented than others in Nike gear they came, and he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

“Let’s go, Archie! Now, Ochefu! Now Brunson, and Hart! Come on Bridges, and Jenkins, don’t fall apart.

To the top of the key! Make all of your 3’s! Now pass it and steal it! Baskets for all!"

As fans screamed and their hand’s shot to the sky, they looked to their opponents and waved bye-bye.

So out to Lancaster Ave in clusters they flew, with bags full of bottles, and lots of signs too.

And then, on Stanford they heard on the roof, the jumping and screaming of a bunch of goofs.

As they drew their fists in the air and turned around, down the road came the team Villanova bound.

They were dressed all in Nike, from head to foot, all of the smiles were the best way it could be put.

A huge trophy they had flung on their backs, they raised it in the air as they made it through the pack.

Their eyes—they twinkled! Fans cheered, how merry! Their cheeks were like roses, noses like cherries!

The cheers of fans saying “great job bro” and the girls all squealing saying “I wish you were my beau.”

As they made it towards the Pavilion they clenched their teeth, a job well done, they could not be beat.

As they arrived to their home court with butterflies in their bellies the trophy was home, it was time to go to Kelly’s.

They were thrilled to put the plaque up on the shelf, they did it for all, not just themselves.

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, Jay gave a speech “we did it,” he said.

He spoke not another word, and refused to lurk, he wrote future game plans and went right back to work.

And laying his finger aside of his nose, and giving a nod, from his desk he rose.

He waved to the fans and gave his team a high five, he said don’t settle nova nation, we will continue to thrive.

We heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight—

“National Champions we are, and to all a good night”