TV Shows to Please Your Inner Hipster

TV Shows to Please Your Inner Hipster

A list of unknown but intelligently constructed TV shows that you'll know before anyone else in your friend group.
324

Have you ever felt like hardly anyone else shared the same favorite interests as you? That no matter what you always end up enjoying something no one has ever heard of? Well, here is a list of five TV shows that you'll be the only one in your friend group knows about.

1. Riverdale

The title cover is aesthetically pleasing. A few dark pines in the background and periphery, and rain pelting down on a blue, vintage Volkswagon in the center. That alone piques the interest in any hipster. Besides that, the plot starts off heavy. It starts off with the mysterious death of Jason Blossom, a popular jock in a small town.

The drama is highly unrealistic in a high school setting, but there are still familiar issues such as the desire to be perfect, masking your problems by acting out/defying parents, self-harm, unstable family life, single/divorced parents, and the feeling of not fitting in. As an older viewer, the show can make you feel uncomfortably nostalgic and make you wish your friend group was as strong as the one in Riverdale . But, overall, the plot is entertaining, and the show is easily binge-worthy. I highly recommend this show if you like Twin Peaks and if you like Cole Sprouse.

2. Westworld

The maze is not for you.

Westworld is a futuristic show, in which people pay to play out their primal fantasies in a realistic amusement park filled with robotic "hosts." These "hosts" can generate set story lines in a wild west setting. Some are for treasure seekers, outlaw seekers, or simply people looking to have fun with the saloon girl "hosts." The conflict starts with the first character the viewers see, a "host" named Dolores Abernathy, because this is the first host to gain sentience.

The show spans over different timelines, which can be a little confusing at times. But this fragmentation enhances the show, forcing you to pay attention to the details.

3. Mr. Robot

If you like computer coding, seriously or just because watching it makes you feel intelligent, and psychology, Mr. Robot is the show for you. The first season starts off with Elliot Alderson, an intelligent computer-hacking/coding vigilante, working at a company named Allsafe. He's against a corporation, named EVIL Corp (a bit on the nose, but I'll let it slide), due to its corruption, and he plans to take it down with Mr. Robot and the rest of fsociety, a team of like-minded intelligent computer-hacking vigilantes.

Throughout the show, Elliot's mental health wanes. He acts out and suffers breakdowns. If you watch the show, you'll find out who the mysterious Mr. Robot is, how fsociety started, and why Elliot is so strange. The show is filled with small details, neatly packed themes, clear ideologies, and mentally unhinged characters.

4. Dollhouse

If you're familiar with Joss Whedon's other work, such as Buffy: the Vampire Slayer , you might like Dollhouse. The main character, Echo, is a really powerful woman, as you'll come to learn as the show progresses.

Anyway, the show centers around "Dolls" or "Actives," people whose personality has been wiped clean to a blank slate. They are hired out by wealthy individuals for their personal use (sexual, romantic, friendly, etc.) or for official business. The "Dolls" are programmed with a specific personality to fit what they were hired out for.

These "Dolls" are meant to not remember anything that happens when they're hired out in their blank-slate state; however, early on the show reveals that Echo begins remembering. And she does fight back.

5. Black Mirror

This show comprises of episodes that are self-contained; you don't need to watch them in a certain order because each episode has its own plot and set of characters. The show examines modern society with satirical themes or exploiting it through plots that end in a lesson or revelation. Most of the episodes center around a technological advance and its effect on its society.

For example, in the episode Nosedive, the main character is treated differently based on how "liked" she is on social media. When she goes below a 4, she starts to be treated as a part of low-class society. She eventually loses her chance at becoming a 5, essentially a celebrity, and access to the nicer things in life. Also, people tend to be less likely to help her the lower her ratings are; if they helped her, their ratings would go down, too. Essentially, the lower your ratings, the lower your class standing is in society and monetary values.

The show encourages the viewer to think about existential themes. Also, if you're an ultra hipster that likes to watch The Twilight Zone , you might like this show.