TV Shows That Didn't Deserve To Die

TV Shows That Didn't Deserve To Die

They can cancel them on TV, but never in our hearts.

23
TV Shows That Didn't Deserve To Die
JAX Equestrian Center

Have you ever found that one TV show that makes its way into your weekly routine and nestles into its own little section of your heart? We become so involved into our TV shows that we sometimes forget that there’s a chance they could go away forever. It’s never pleasant having that feeling in your stomach when you look up the return date for one of your favorites and instead of a date you find out that the network has decided against renewing it. Arguably, some shows deserved their fate, but a handful of them did not. Here are my top four that didn’t deserve to die (some spoilers ahead):

1. "Finding Carter"

MTV’s show about Carter, a girl who was reunited with her family after being kidnapped for the majority of her life, was cancelled upon completion of the second season. Of course, it ended on a note that will forever spawn questions in my head. One of the main characters, Max, turns himself in for murder and, in turn, frees Carter’s kidnapper, Lori, who had taken the fall for him. It wasn’t necessarily a cliffhanger, but it wasn’t a great way to end the series. Max was written to be a crowd favorite, and he definitely was. The show didn’t end on a note that people will sit back and be okay with. It ended on a note that left teary-eyed viewers begging for one more episode. We weren’t prepared to never get to see the aftermath. We all assumed that it would just be a few months hiatus and then we’d be back into the emotional roller coaster that this show was.

2. "Blood and Oil"

ABC hit us with a handful of new shows this year, many of which got axed. In the fall they introduced us to Billy and Cody LeFever, a couple who move to North Dakota in hopes of getting into the oil field industry. There’s drama, scandal, sex, Chace Crawford, and Scott Michael Foster (who also starred in "Chasing Life," which also got cancelled.) Really, what more could you want? The beneficial part of this show is that it knew it wasn’t going to see a renewal and left viewers with a closed book. In the tenth and final episode, properly titled “Departures,” viewers were given closure. The series was treated as a mini series, with the characters all establishing their future happy endings. While this series didn’t get much for an audience and was rated as less than desirable by multiple sources, I personally thought it was worth watching.

3. "The Lying Game"

This isn’t a recent cancellation (2013 to be exact) but I’m still salty over it. ABC Family, now Freeform, really had a possible winner on their hands with this one. This show was "The Parent Trap" with sex, lies, murder, and emotions. Twin girls, Emma and Sutton (who were separated by adoption), switch places for a few days so that Sutton can devote her time and energy to finding their birth mother. However, she doesn’t return home to undo the swap. This leaves Emma living as Sutton all while trying to figure out where her sister went and why they were ever separated. The series ended on a cliffhanger from hell. There was a murder, the twins’ lie had been discovered, and love triangles were left with dotted lines. This show made it to two seasons/thirty episodes, and I believe it deserved many more.

4. "Eye Candy"

MTV messed up again and took away yet another show that people fell in love with. Well, at least Tumblr seemed to enjoy it. Victoria Justice starred as Lindi Sampson in this thriller about an anonymous killer that she brought into her life via an online dating website all while trying to find her missing sister. The killer is exposed, but Lindi’s sister’s whereabouts never are, and the series ends with Lindi leaving to go continue the search. This show actually had me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next move. It was suspenseful, full of action, and gave me yet another TV ship whose fate I will never learn.

Some other shows that got questionably cancelled this year:

-"The Family" (ABC––also left on a huge plot twist/cliffhanger that I won’t recover from)

-"Undateable"(NBC)

-"Awkward"(MTV)

-"Faking It" (MTV––it was starting to get worn out, so maybe it’s for the best)

-"Switched at Birth" (Freeform––this show has run its course)

-"Crowded" (NBC––really wasn’t all that great but Miranda Cosgrove deserved to be back on TV)

-Marvel’s "Agent Carter" (ABC)

-"Galavant" (ABC––seriously, ABC is killing me)

-"Grandfathered" (FOX ––John Stamos and Josh Peck’s new bromance will last forever)

-"Chasing Life" (Freeform)

-"Gravity Falls" (Disney XD––I get that it was the creator’s choice but I still wish it stuck around)

And here are a few that I’m just still upset about after multiple years:

-"Ravenswood"(Freeform––although it was a "Pretty Little Liars" spinoff and Caleb just went back)

-"Jane by Design" (Freeform)

-"Don’t Trust the B----- in Apartment 23" (Guess who. That’s right. ABC)

TV shows come and go but the warmth they put in our hearts, or the GIFs they put on Tumblr, never really leave. In today’s society, at least we always will have a community somewhere with like-minded people who are also upset to see the show go, and odds are they want to talk about it, too. However, if you truly care about a show, watch it. If they can make a "Full House" reboot, they may just bring back some of your favorite shows, or maybe another network will pick it up. Never lose hope and never quit being a fan. Watch it on TV, watch it online, blog about it, tweet about it, buy merchandise, buy the DVDs ... any amount of support shows the people in charge that their show is a hit, and that’s a fact they need to hear.